✅ Support Windows Hello Unlocking

Outstanding! Waiting patiently for browser extension support! Thank you!

2 Likes

This is incredible news! Do you plan on implementing this technology on the browser extension too? Thank you.

1 Like

Yep! We had to add to the desktop apps first anyways, so why not release them first :slight_smile:

1 Like

Fantastic! I can’t handle so many good news in a single take so I´ll be back shortly.

1 Like

Very good news! I came here specifically to ask about browser extension support. That’s what I (and it seems quite a few other people!) really care about.

Love this feature. It makes the app so much easier to use.
I noticed that it always fails the first check when the app is not in focus.
It always goes through on the second attempt though. (Windows 10 Home Build 19041.423)

windowshello

Well done! Keep up the good work :slightly_smiling_face:

Sorry for the delay @Olli - that is odd. Do you mind creating a github issue for it?

Sure. Any recommendation for an issue that I can use as a good template to make it as useful as possible. (complete git newbie here)

No worries @Olli!

When you go to create a new issue you’ll be presented with the template to fill out. Looks like this:

Describe the Bug

Steps To Reproduce

1. Go to ‘…’
  2. Click on ‘…’
  3. Scroll down to ‘…’
  4. Click on ‘…’

Expected Result

Actual Result

Screenshots or Videos

Environment

• Operating system: [e.g. Windows 10, Mac OS Catalina]
  • Build Version (go to “Settings” → “About”): [e.g. 1.16.10]

Additional Context

2 Likes

Sorry for my late reply. I was creating the issue in GitHub today, but while looking further into it, I found out that I could always cause the authentication to fail when removing focus from the app I tried to authenticate, so it doesn’t seem like an issue with bitwarden. It might even be a security feature of Windows Hello that protects it in some way that I’m just not aware of.

I would not add it as an issue, seeing how it does not happen only in bitwarden and you really have to click on something else fast before the authentication succeeds to cause it. What do you think?

@Olli that makes sense, and I’d agree with your statement about it not being an issue with the app. Does it occur on any other Hello enabled app for you?

@Olli @tgreer
I have the Windows Hello prompt focus issue as well. I can’t say for sure it is a windows 10 problem but I can state that events like installation prompts that fail to focus under windows 10 as well.

Also still waiting for chrome extension fingerprint support.

@jeffreyd00 - thanks for that!

Browser extension biometrics are on the roadmap :+1:

2 Likes

as a tease, any SWAG as to when this may be available? weeks… months?

Right now the best guess is before the end of the year. Some browsers may need a bridge between the extension and the desktop app, and some may be able to leverage the Hello APIs alone, but we have not determined the timeline/scope for those just yet.

3 Likes

Sounds good, thanks. At approximately 70% market share, here’s to hoping Chrome is able to support the Hello APIs natively.

I do know Microsoft.com natively supports Windows Hello login using Chrome.

Browser extension definitely need Windows Hello support. Maybe offer an option or another extension to sync/bridge with desktop app instead of web directly.

Moving in the right direction!

3 Likes