Support autofill via keyboard on Android 11+

Feature

Android 11 supports password providers securely sending autofill information to be displayed on the keyboard instead of a clunky dropdown menu. Bitwarden should require minimal changes to get that working.

Related topics + references

We are definitely looking forward to leveraging native autofill options for Mobile :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Would love to see this! Iā€™ve noticed that there are certain apps that donā€™t detect bitwarden autofill, or misbehave by forcing a reload and loosing the values after the autofill is done. Perhaps this would fix those issues and make it easier to use overall.

2 Likes

It would be really awesome to see this at Android 11 launch in October.

2 Likes

Echoing that I too would love to see this alongside the public android 11 release :pray:

2 Likes

Android 11 has been released:

3 Likes

Is there a plan for this?

Yep! Itā€™s a fairly high priority item.

9 Likes

Any update, or ETA, or perhaps a link to the issue being tracked somewhere else that one could follow? Or is there any way that folks might be able to help?

1 Like

Itā€™s in motion currently! Weā€™re working through some items with Xamarin but itā€™s definitely underway!

4 Likes

We need this ASAP

Any updates on this?

2 Likes

Still a work in progress, but moving along! Lots of interesting technical changes (with Android and Xamarin) that were needed for this to work, so itā€™s taking just a bit longer.

1 Like

Is there a beta to help with testing?

3 Likes

Itā€™s not in beta just yet, but it should be in our Beta path in Google Play once itā€™s working initially.

1 Like

Looks like thereā€™s been a PR submitted:

So hopefully pushed to beta soon :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

So, this showed up in beta sometime recently and in general I really like it, but some percentage of my apps donā€™t support the native autofill capability and so I have to keep both the autofill service and accessibility service settings on. In apps that DO support autofill, this results in the ā€œAutofill with Bitwarden/Go to my vaultā€ banner being displayed on top of the password field where I would have to click in order for the keyboard to come up. This makes it difficult to get at the nice new keyboard buttons to fill in the login. I tried turning the accessibility service off and that makes things much cleaner, but of course when I use an app that doesnā€™t support autofill Iā€™m hosed. Is there any way to suppress the banner generated by the accessibility service when the app in question supports autofill? Or at least, donā€™t place the banner in a spot that makes it difficult to bring up the keyboard?

5 Likes

Looks like this is now live - unfortunately Swiftkey (my preferred Android keyboard) havenā€™t launched their support yet, but when I trialled Gboard it seemed to work fine with it.

Just cleaning up some open topics - this is available :slight_smile: