Social Security Number - Rename to something generic

I realise this is not a deal-breaker, but the label Social Security Number is very US-centric.

Was wondering if it could be renamed to something more generic such as just Tax Number.
This would also put it more in line with Passport Number and License Number.

BTW, I’m a new and Premium user since a month ago. Love the product!

Yes, I completely agree with you. Social Security Number is like way too specific. The company is based in U.S, you can’t really blame them.

Most countries have set their own names for the identification system. In India, its called Aadhar number.

Bitwarden is localized but I don’t really know if all the translators have changed the term Social Security Number to something else or left it as is.

Its best to use National Identification Number instead of social security number. According to Wikipedia

A national identification number , national identity number , or national insurance number is used by the governments of many countries as a means of tracking their citizens, permanent residents, and temporary residents for the purposes of work, taxation, government benefits, health care, and other governmentally-related functions. The number appears on identity documents issued by several countries.

In the United States, a Social Security number ( SSN ) is a nine-digit number issued to U.S. citizens, permanent residents, and temporary (working) residents under section 205©(2) of the Social Security Act, codified as 42 U.S.C. § 405©(2)

The trouble is, a person can have multiple IDs of this type. For example, someone who has worked in India and then moves to the US and works there will have both an Aadhar Number and a Social Security Number. So just changing the label by country will lead to bad or confusing data.

Perhaps it would make sense to turn that field into a list similar to the custom fields list. SSN could be the default, but other ID types could be added and SSN could be removed if desired.

Or SSN could just be removed and everyone could use the custom fields for this kind of thing.

Like I said, its best to rename SSN to National Identification Number or Identification Number. If he/she has multiple citizenship, it best to use a custom field or BW should give us an option to add one or more than one Identification field