Shortcut autofill for items with "master password reprompt" should ask for the master password

Feature name

When items are configured to request “master password reprompt” and the user invokes autofill with a keyboard shortcut, the extension should ask for the master password instead of failing silently

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?
    Popup for the master password instead of failing silently

• What benefits will this feature bring?
    Users won’t have to go to the extension to manually trigger an autofill

Related topics + references

• Are there any related topics that may help explain the need and function of this feature?

• In this topic unlocking the vault on autofill was introduced. Not having the same behaviour with “master password reprompt” items may be strange to the user.
    • In general, failing silently is not user friendly: the user will look at the extension, see that there is a saved password and wonder if the extension is broken
  • Are there any references to this feature or function on other platforms that may be helpful?

• LastPass does this (can’t find a reference in their documentation, but you can try it out); I’m not sure about other clients

Notes

I tested this on Debian Linux 11 (bullseye), with Firefox 91.5.0esr (64-bit) and Google Chrome Version 97.0.4692.99 (Official Build) (64-bit).

I’m not sure if this behaviour is different on other platforms.

This would be very useful to me. I wouldn’t even consider that this should be a “feature request”, but more as a default behavior.

This is brilliant. This has been such a major pain point since Master Password Re-prompt launched. Agreed with @simonsanchezart: it is a very unusual limitation.

I’ve written a comment on the BW’s official “autofill problems” GitHub issue, as requested by Bitwarden staff: maybe we don’t need to wait for a whole feature request.