Self hosting free organization

Hey @sliver85 perhaps I misread your message above, did you purchase a license?

I just came across this subject following the purchase of a Bitwarden license I could not activate the organizations on my self-hosted bitwarden. I’m a little disappointed because that was the purpose of this license purchase…a little feeling like I’ve been cheated.

Yes I have a bitwarden premium license and a free plan for the organization (need only 2 users)

It would seem that the free-plan for organizations is not functional for self-hosted which is very unfortunate.

Thanks for clarification, I had thought you meant org license.

For the org license in free-plan it indicates that it must work by activating the sync billing. Except that this menu does not exist on the free plan. That’s what’s misleading.

Thanks, I’ll pass that feedback along to the team, it is referring to the free families plan for enterprise organizations.

Exactly.
We have a different app behavior.
If vault.bitwarden.com it is possible to have the free organization plan (2 users).
If self-hosted this is not possible because requires a license (certainly linked to a paid subscription).

Have a good day

1 Like

Hi there,
I was doing a little follow-up with my request.

@bw-admin I propose to see the request and the issue in a different way.
The functionality that we need is the possibility to share a password to another account for a self hosted instance.

If it’s easier, can’t you ask to the dev to forgot about this whole organization stuff and just allow 1:1 sharing for self hosted?

Best regards

Are you referring to a 1 off send, or a syncing send between two organizations? The team is working on expanding Bitwarden Send functionality to include the ability to share and intake 1 item from an organization into another as a static item, but are continuing to explore other enhancements.

Hi @bw-admin ,
Why do you want so much the organization layer?
And now you’re talking about two organization, I’m just asking a way to share a password between two users of the same self hosted instance.

I don’t need/want organization for sharing something between two users, we’re not talking about enterprise stuff that need super heavy configuration and complexify the install/configuration.

UserA want to share an entry in userB’s vault.:

• The entry is obviously synced so any change made to it will be replicated
  • The one who shared the entry should be able to stop sharing
  • Could be nice if we can have differents rights while sharing: read only on the entry or read write as an example

Dashlane do something quite similiar, for example.

Hope this help

Hey @Spi currently you can just add an item to a collection to share it between two users.

The team is also working on flexible collections to improve this flow :+1:

Well @bw-admin I looked myself and there is no licence file to export in Free Plan.
So it’s the same story since months, you answer without taking note of important informations of the thread: self hosted & free org. Then you give us answers that aren’t applicable and make us losing time trying to configure and troubleshoot stuff.

You could just say that you don’t care, we will spare time at least.

I cannot speak for the team but I do believe adding your vote to the feature request here is going to be the best option on hopefully getting this implemented.

Currently as you can see in the comparison the Free Organization is not available for self-hosting, though I understand this is the request here.

With a multitude of requests and “to-do” items I imagine it can become a challenge to manage and prioritize, though as I’ve seen from other postings when feedback is promised to be passed along to the team, it genuinely is sent to the team for review and not simply PR.

@cksapp I’m sorry but I think there is multiple issue here.

• You (Bitwarden) replied the feature is available, and that wasn’t the case multiple time.
  • The documentation is messy and misleading, so I’m not the only one who was lost and spend hours trying to understand where is the issue
  • The communication on this topic isn’t great at all
  • If it’s already coded and available for self hosted family environment there is not much to do to enable it on free self org

So I’m sorry but the feature request is here, you can evaluate the work to do, planify or decline it.

You don’t need almost a year to put something on a road map or giving a no.

Thanks for the feedback @Spi looks like there was an issue with the documentation that was updated in the last couple months. We will keep this feature request open for voting and discussion.

Please keep in mind there are many open feature requests for the team to consider, and many that are marked as either in progress, under research, planned etc…

At this time, there are no announcements around this feature request but the team will continue to collect insights.