I’ve been trying to self-host bitwarden, but I’m runing into an issue when I’m trying to ./bitwarden.sh update (or start). It doesn’t work as intended and its output is :
Version in “/home/me/bitwarden/bwdata/docker/docker-compose.yml” is unsupported. You might be seeing this error because you’re using the wrong Compose file version. Either specify a version of “2” (or “2.0”) and place your service definitions under the
serviceskey, or omit the
versionkey and place your service definitions at the root of the file to use version 1.
After quite a bit of looking around, it seems that this issue is related to some specific versions of docker and docker-compose not working together.
However, this seems to be fixed.
I’ve tried the following :
- Deleting & re-running the install script several times
- Running the install script with “beta” versions
- Either generating a SSL certificate or not during the install
- Keeping the default
bwdata.config.ymlor changing the HTTPS port
- Creating the bitwarden directory in my home directory and at the root
- Running either as root and as myself with and without sudo
- Running the container with docker-config manually.
version: 3.1, either directly or by using
Linux Debian 9.8
Web server Nginx 1.10.3
Docker version 18.09.3 build 774a1f4
Docker-compose version is 1.8.0 build “unknown”
My user is in the docker group, and for each new installation I used a new key & ID from bitwarden.
I hope I provided enough information, and thanks in advance for your help.