Security Vault TimeOut?

I was not sure how to search for this so I am asking a new question.

If you choose the “NEVER” option for the security vault timeout. I remember it saying that it was going to put the password file, locally. Is that correct?

If so, by changing the setting to anything other then “NEVER” does that remove the local file and resume actual cloud based requests for password?

If not, then where do I find this file so that I can delete it?

Lastly, What settings do I need to choose so that I can have it lock in like 10 hours but not lock in the event that I closed the browser? I would still like to open and close the browser without having to log in every time, but keep the 10 hour timer going. If that makes sense.

@james.holloway Welcome to the Bitwarden Community Forum!

Given the context, we can safely assume that OP is using the Bitwarden Password Manager.

@EyeScream Toi my knowledge, Bitwarden stores the actual encryption key, not the master password, when selecting the “Never” lock option. However, this key is not stored in a file; it is stored in special enclave, such as the Windows Credential Manager, the macOS Keychain, or GNOME Keyring on Linux. I think you can safely assume that the Bitwarden encryption key is removed from this enclave when you reset your vault timeout option to something other than “Never”.

Unfortunately, the only way to prevent an unlock requirement when restarting a browser is to use the “Never” option. As an alternative, you can set up Bitwarden to unlock with a PIN or biometrics (fingerprint, etc.).

You should set the “Vault Timeout Action” option to “Lock” instead of “Log out”. That way, you don’t need to go through the full login procedure with username, password and 2FA each time that you want to access your Bitwarden vault. In addition, using “Lock” instead of “Log out” will allow you to access your vault contents even if you lose your internet connectivity.