Restore SQL from Backup

Self-hosted Bitwarden has an automated backup feature that’s described in this help document.

https://help.bitwarden.com/article/backup-on-premise/

However, the document doesn’t give specific details on how to restore the SQL database. Instead it just gives a link to a Microsoft document that provides generic info.

Does anybody have specific instructions on how to restore the SQL database in Docker running under Windows?

Thanks,

Rob

Hi robpur, I was working on the same thing today. Here’s what I came up with (on Docker for OS X, though I don’t think that will make a difference). You can find your SA password needed for the commands below in bwdata/env/mssql.override.env.

Use docker and the sqlcmd CLI to restore from a backup like so:

docker exec -it bitwarden-mssql /opt/mssql-tools/bin/sqlcmd -S localhost -U SA -P '<YOUR_SA_PASSWORD>' -Q "RESTORE DATABASE vault FROM DISK = '/etc/bitwarden/mssql/backups/vault.bak' WITH REPLACE";

You can also list the files in a backup:

docker exec -it bitwarden-mssql /opt/mssql-tools/bin/sqlcmd -S localhost \
-U SA -P '<YOUR_SA_PASSWORD>' \
-Q 'RESTORE FILELISTONLY FROM DISK = "/etc/bitwarden/mssql/backups/vault_FULL_20190828_235901.BAK"' \
| tr -s ' ' | cut -d ' ' -f 1-2

Or make manual backups (haven’t yet found a way to customise the automated backups):

docker exec -it bitwarden-mssql /opt/mssql-tools/bin/sqlcmd -S localhost -U SA -P '<YOUR_SA_PASSWORD>' -Q "BACKUP DATABASE vault TO DISK = '/etc/bitwarden/mssql/backups/vault_backup.bak' WITH STATS=10";

Hope any of this helps!

Kind regards,

Daniël

Sources: