✅ Require master password "re-prompt" for some items

+1 for this idea. like so many other people have said, I transitioned everything over to Bitwarden from Lastpass, LOVE what I’m seeing so far, gorgeous UI, but I absolutely need this feature before I can commit myself and family over to a family plan.

2 Likes

I have seen in another thread that this feature is “coming soon”. Is there more specific information about the ETA?
I have just switched to Bitwarden from LastPass and it seems that this is the only feature that I am missing.

1 Like

It will be ready when it is ready.

I for one would rather Bitwarden continues to do things thoroughly, rather than meting some arbitrary deadline and then having to undo a mess due to inadequate testing. Password managers are serious bits of software, not some trivial game.

2 Likes

It will be ready when it is ready.

I mean, this is pretty obvious.

Having an ETA is a standard working practice and does not absolutely mean rushing things: they expect it will be ready in x months but could be either sooner or later :slightly_smiling_face:

I wish I had a more firm timeline, but we are releasing some cool stuff next week and that’s our main focus right now. Once that is deployed and settled, we should have a better idea of when this is coming :metal:

9 Likes

What it is ?? Maybe overlay :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Unfortunately it isn’t obvious. Software is often rushed out before it is ready, to meet some deadline set by a marketing department. We all know software companies which do that, I don’t want Bitwarden to join them.

There are a number of things I wish Bitwarden did and other things I wish it did better. However, my wishing for things will not make them arrive any quicker. Bitwarden are running their business, not me (and if I were running Bitwarden I may do exactly what they are doing).

Created account, even tho I hate registrations, just for this feature, upvoter 500th!

Thank you for the answer!

Thank you for your post!

Feature name

• Enter the name/concept of the feature being requested
    → Prompt for enter to master password or PIN for sensitive website like banking

Feature function

• What will this feature do differently?
    I store all kind of password on bitwarden, some of them I don’t care if It gets compromised to I lose thousands of dollar. For sensitive website I like to have a checkmark which says ask for master password every time regardless vault is open or not. This feature is in lastpass.
  • What benefits will this feature bring?
    – This will more secure for sensitive website, and at the same time more user-friendly.
    In this approach user can keep safe unlock for 4 hrs for non sensitive stuff and enter the master password/PIN for sensitive stuff.
  • Remember to add a tag for each client application that will be affected
    app:desktop as I use that most, but ideally all clients have this option.

I hope when this feature launches, it will still allow “Never lock” + biometrics to work between browser restarts with biometrics enabled.

Never unlock = unlocked between browser restarts
Never unlock + unlock with biometrics = locks between browser restarts

Vault Timeout to “Never” + Biometrics = always locks itself after closing the browser - User-to-User Support - Bitwarden Community Forums

Ideally, once this feature launches:

1. Bitwarden always remains unlocked, no matter what (I lock my Windows desktop on my own)
  2. For the rare very sensitive logins, Bitwarden will prompt me for biometric authentication

Currently, forcing “never lock” + “unlock with biometrics” makes Bitwarden lock itself every time I close my browser. :frowning:

1 Like

+1
With an auto-reauthenticate thrown in every now and then as a security measure.

1 Like

I too was planning to switch to Bitwarden from Lastpass. I was attracted to Bitwarden by its U2F support, which Lastpass does not have. After playing with Bitwarden for a bit, I think I also prefer Bitwarden’s browser extension and UI. However, I cannot accept that all my stored credentials are so easily viewed when my vault is unlocked.

2 Likes

I’m shocked this isn’t a feature… I assumed this would be a basic security step for highly sensitive passwords.

2 Likes

I just switched from LastPass. I really cant believe this isn’t already a feature. I was shocked after import from LP and I clicked a credit card and bam, everything was there. Definitely a must to have this for the secure notes. Since this was requested 3 years ago, not sure it will happen sadly. I may have to continue looking for another alternative.

2 Likes

Just as an FYI to any Bitwarden product managers reading - lack of this feature is a deal breaker for me - I was hoping Bitwarden would be my LastPass replacement due to the recent change to their free tier, but I think I’ll end up just paying for their premium plan. I just don’t like the idea of having my most sensitive passwords always unlocked for reasons mentioned by many others in this thread.

2 Likes

It only recently became the most requested feature after a lot of people came over from LastPass, so it’s a much larger priority now. Give it some time; it’ll happen.

3 Likes

Very surprised that this isn’t a feature right now. Would not be at all difficult to implement and is a huge dealbreaker for many people.

1 Like

Thank you for responding to the widespread request for this feature. Do you have an estimate of when it will be implemented?

It’s currently scoped for Q2 of this year, so hopefully ready (along with other items of course) before the end of June or so.

11 Likes