Repeated MacOS password prompts when accessing BW extension using Safari

Issue: I have to enter the Mac PW every time I unlock the BW extension before it lets me then use my biometric method of access.

I am experimenting with a Safari-only workflow on MacOS. I have been using Brave with its Bitwarden extension without issue but Brave sucks battery. After I enabled the Bitwarden extension in Safari and ensured I was signed into both it and the Mac BW Desktop app, I have been getting repeated prompts to enter my Mac password in order to access the Bitwarden Safari extension. It’s freakin’ annoying.

The prompt is: ‘Bitwarden is trying to Bitwarden Safari. Enter the password for the user Insert Name to allow this.’ There is a large lock icon with small a bw icon.

I have to enter the Mac PW every time I unlock the BW extension before it lets me then use my biometric method of access. I also I get prompts to enter my Mac password to access the Bitwarden extension as I jump between pinned tabs, most of which need a password that is saved in Bitwarden but they are already signed in. It’s appears a bit inconsistent; in these cases, I haven’t attempted to access the BW extension manually. The Mac BW desktop app is still functioning without issue.

I have the BW extension set to Lock at either immediate or 1 minute. I have the two biometric settings selected.

I have a feeling it’s something very simple I’m missing.

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Just Bumping as I try to resolve.

Hi @222!

You may want to double check your macOS System Preferences. Here’s a link to our documentation on unlocking with biometrics as well as Apple’s.

I hope this helps, but if not, please feel free to reach out to our support team for more assistance!

It appears this largely resolved itself. I believe it was a conflict with the desktop app and Safari browser extension prompting the repeated prompts to enter the password as I began to use the extension for the first time.