Regularly Missing Bottom Icons in Firefox Browser Extension on smaller window size, or high windows system zoom

Firefox extension tends to lose lower icons “Tab, Vault, Send, Generator, Settings” when the browser window is smaller, or when the user has a high system display ‘zoom’ level.

This does not seem to happen in Edge or other browsers.

If I change the System (display) zoom level, or increase the size of the window, the icons “tab, vault, etc.” will re-appear.

However, the Full Screen, Maximized window size for some will end up making these icons disappear, even in maximized windows when users have a high display zoom level in windows display settings.

That’s an odd screenshot… how come the browser does not have a scroll bar? Could that be part of the problem?

The scroll bar disappears after 5 seconds of inactivity (on Windows 11). besides, the scroll bar doesn’t include the popup (Bitwarden plugin popup), it only scrolls the page.

If I set the display zoom high, I get this:

If I set the display zoom low, I get this:

Please also notice the rounded corners on the bottom of the widget popup… this means the widget popup is fully visible. The buttons at the bottom, are simply not showing.

OK, I think I can reproduce your issue, and it seems to be a bug in the rendering of the Firefox browser extension. However, it is not related to zoom levels or windows size, it is cause by the available screen real-estate between the top of the browser extension window and the bottom of the Windows desktop. Here is a side-by-side comparison of Chrome (browser version 125.0.6422.142; extension version 2024.5.2; on the left) and Firefox (browser version 125.0.1; extension version 2024.4.2; on the right):

Case 1:

In this example, there is sufficient vertical clearance to render the full browser extension viewport without scroll bars. The bottom navigation menu icons are visible in both Chrome and Firefox.

Case 2:

In this example, the vertical clearance from the top of the browser extension viewport to the bottom of the Windows desktop has been reduced. The browser extension viewports are still rendered without scroll bars, but in both browsers, the vertical dimension of the viewport has been reduced to allow it to fit within the available desktop screen area. Note: The bottom navigation menu icons are visible in Chrome, but not in Firefox.

Case 3:

In this example, the vertical clearance from the top of the browser extension viewport to the bottom of the Windows desktop has been reduced even further. In the Chrome browser (but not in Firefox), the browser extension viewport has now been rendered with scroll bars. In contrast, for the Firefox browser, the vertical dimension of the viewport has been further reduced to allow it to fit within the available desktop screen area (the rounded corners are the bottom of the Firefox browser extension window imply that the viewport is fully rendered within the available screen area, and not cropped). In this example, the bottom navigation menu icons are not visible in either browser; however, the navigation icons can be accessed in Chrome by using the browser extension scroll bar (this option is not available in Firefox).

1 Like

EXCELLENT, as long as you can reproduce that, excellent. THANKS!

I have now amended my comment above to fully document the behavior I observe.

If this issue as not already been reported on GitHub, that would be the appropriate venue to file a bug report. You can do so using the information provided above, or I may do it myself, time permitting.

One thing to note is that for me, the most recent browser extension available for Firefox is version 2024.4.2, whereas my Chrome browser extension has been updated to 2024.5.2 already. It is possible that this is an issue that has already been fixed in a later release.

1 Like

I have to admit, I know NOTHING of Github, so I’m probably not the right person to do anything in Github.

The extension on Firefox does say 4.2, but it also says last updated June 6, 2024… so this is the most recent released update. It may be, as you say, in the pipeline, however.

If you could enter this into Github, I’d be very appreciative.

The 2024.5.* extension releases have been Chrome-only, most likely focusing on transitioning to mv3. No other browser releases yet.

Seems like this corresponds to Issue #8769 on GitHub.

Thanks, looks like you posted there. Appreciate it!

Hopefully this will get fixed!