Redesign the iOS app to use the “card” design introduced in iOS 13

Starting with I believe iOS 13 a new card-like design was introduced to iOS. It’d look a lot better if the Bitwarden app used this design. Right now when new things come up like the edit screen when going to edit an item it isn’t the card-like design…

Here’s a screen recording where it’s compared to Apollo: https://streamable.com/5djmu3

Can you elaborate a bit more what a card-like design consists of? A weblink to examples or screenshots would help.

I am a new user to Bitwarden and love it’s crystal clean UI/UX of their excellent webversion and Chrome extension. However, I find myself to be a bit less enthusiastic in that way with their iOS apps. They seem to be lacking a bit the UI/UX quality the web/extension versions bring to the table. However… when you compare them with the app-efforts of other password managers… (I tried 1Password and Lastpass) there’s not much difference between Bitwarden and competitors in that area really. Maybe it’s just the constraints of having a mobile OS to work with?

And another point is: are those iOS apps in fact that important (for editing the vault’s content for example)? Since editing login-entries and other stuff in the vault, we can do directly through the fantastic webversion or even Chrome extension… so I barely touch the iOS iPhone and iPad versions myself. They are just there to make iOS auto-fill integration possible really, at least that’s how I look at it, so what would be the importance to beef up their interfaces?

If you have no laptop/desktop, you can goto Safari in iPadOS and make use of the excellent webversion of Bitwarden anyway. So, what is the time one would really spend inside the native Bitwarden iOS apps?

Can you elaborate a bit more what a card-like design consists of? A weblink to examples or screenshots would help.

Here are 2 interesting articles:

https://uxdesign.cc/not-just-boxes-card-components-in-design-systems-568e97501ba0

https://www.justinmind.com/blog/cards-ui-design/

Sorry, looks like that Streamable video in my post was deleted. You can see here how when editing an entry in the app there’s no “card-like” design and pulling down does not dismiss the entry - but here, when autofilling an entry, there’s that “card-like” design. That design is what a lot of apps switched to when iOS 13 came out to keep consistent with iOS, and it’s more user-friendly with how you can pull down to dismiss the page you’re on. Now I realize Bitwarden itself is also inconsistent with how there’s no card design in-app but there is when autofilling.

I find myself to be a bit less enthusiastic in that way with their iOS apps. They seem to be lacking a bit the UI/UX quality the web/extension versions bring to the table.

What do you feel is missing from the iOS apps? I think they’re pretty good - of course, they don’t have full functionality, but it’s understandable that some things can only be changed from the Web Vault.

And another point is: are those iOS apps in fact that important (for editing the vault’s content for example)? Since editing login-entries and other stuff in the vault, we can do directly through the fantastic webversion or even Chrome extension…

They are just there to make iOS auto-fill integration possible really, at least that’s how I look at it, so what would be the importance to beef up their interfaces?

The iOS apps aren’t super important but I think they’re still relatively important. A good mobile app is something I look for when looking for a good a password manager. If I had to edit an entry on my phone I would much rather do so in the mobile app than the web vault as the web vault isn’t particularly optimized for devices with smaller screens like a phone. And although the mobile app doesn’t have to be perfect (because most of the time you’re likely going to be editing vault entries on a PC where you can use the desktop app or web vault), I think it should still be good for the times you might be editing entries or adding an entry on-the-go.

If you have no laptop/desktop, you can goto Safari in iPadOS and make use of the excellent webversion of Bitwarden anyway. So, what is the time one would really spend inside the native Bitwarden iOS apps?

What about those who might not have a PC or an iPad? Then their only option would be to use their phone…and the web vault isn’t really optimized for a phone’s screen size so their only satisfactory option would be to use the mobile app.

In response to your second reply:

Here are 2 interesting articles:

https://uxdesign.cc/not-just-boxes-card-components-in-design-systems-568e97501ba0

https://www.justinmind.com/blog/cards-ui-design/

That’s not the card-like design I was talking about, apologies for the confusion. For some reason Streamable deleted my video. See this video for an example of the card-like design I’m talking about.

Thanks for taking the time to make those video snippets :+1:

It is not about functionality that is missing, it was just my first impression using the iOS apps for the first time, after using the excellent Webversion and Chrome extension for a few days. It’s about the UI experience in terms of the look and feel compared to that Webversion and Chrome extension.

However, this applies as well to competitors:

Yes, that’s true. In those cases a more ‘appealing’ look and feel for the iOS apps would be welcome.

(But once again… competitors like Lastpass and 1Password aren’t much better in this area … maybe 1Password takes the lead there)

Here… pictures say more then words:

Bitwarden - enter the vault on Web:

On an iPad.

Bitwarden - enter the void (that’s an amazing movie btw) … vault on iOS app:

On an iPad.

To me, the UI/UX on the Web version of BW feels rock-solid. The login screen to the vault is a good example of that. Web version gives a strong trustworthy UI, whereas the same login-screen on the iPad OS feels… kindof weak. It feels a bit like you are filling in a HTML webform that is pasted inside an app-frame (English is not my main language, but you get the point) … filling in your masterpassword in a tiny little field in the upperleft corner. (With the rest of the screen being an almost complete blank/empty white canvas, in other words: void)

I know, in the end of the day does it really matter that much? It does what it has to do and when you use TouchID one never needs to fill in the master password in the app anyway.

Here’s how Lastpass does it on their iOS app:

Lastpass - enter the vault on iOS app:

Which is more in line with the webversion in fact of Bitwarden.

And that is why I love this Bitwarden redesign by Büşra Değirmenci:

See more of her re-imagination for a Bitwarden iOS app overhere:

https://www.behance.net/gallery/104956981/Bitwarden-Redesign

And place your vote overhere :+1:

2 Likes

Hmm yeah, that login screen in the app looks…empty. I think generally Bitwarden isn’t optimized for use on iPads, as is made clear by all that empty space. Of course, the login screen isn’t supposed to have much there, it’s just there for you to enter your password to unlock the vault…but I suppose it should look better than that.