Preparing CSV import from scratch

I am building a CSV import file from scratch by export data from my current InfoSafe by Wakefiledsoft (not supported by Bitwarden), and am having trouble understanding the CSV format headings.

For the required headings in CSV row 1, where are the the headings defined?

folder, favorite, type, name, notes, fields, login_uri, login_username, login_password, login_totp

Thanks!
John

Hi @johnseibert and welcome to the community :tada:

Hereā€™s the link to our guide to condition a CSV-file for import:

Kind regards,

Daniel

Daniel,

Iā€™ve read this link previously, but it did not answer my question.

For example the heading ā€˜folderā€™ appears to be the Bitwarden folder to which this row of data will be stored. However, the ā€˜favoriteā€™ leaves me guessing on how Bitword treats this cellā€™s data, nor ā€˜typeā€™.

Also, a previous posting asked how to use the ā€˜fieldsā€™ data cells, and I did not see a useful answer.

Thanks!
John

There are a few examples on the Help page where you can glean some of this information, but the best way to figure this out is to create one or more dummy items in a vault, then export the vault take a look at the .CSV data.

For example, favorite should be set to 1 if you want this vault record to be marked as a ā€œFavoriteā€, and 0 or blank otherwise.

I didnā€™t see the query about fields (if you can point me to the post I would be helpful), but this column should contain any custom fields defined for the item. When you have a single custom field, the format is customFieldName: customFieldvalue (and it works only for custom fields of the text type); if examining the .csv in a text editor, there would also be double-quotation marks as a text field delimiter: "customFieldName: customFieldvalue". When the value in the fields column must contain name/value pairs for more than one custom field, then each such name/value pair should separated by a linefeed character (LF = ASCII character 0x0A ); if manually editing a .csv file in Excel, you can create the LF separators using the Alt+ENTER shortcut.

1 Like

Iā€™ve read through this and need to migrate a family membersā€™ discontinued legacy password vault, i.e. one not on the supported list. I am trying to figure out how to take a CSV export from Dataviz Password Plus and import that into a specific new collection I have in a Bitwarden family plan. I really donā€™t want to have to rewrite a long CSV export into JSON manually. Even if the JSON route is the only way to target a collection, which Iā€™m really hoping it isnā€™t, the how to isnā€™t clear on how to get the ID needed for that.
Would someone please point me to a process that will allow import of a massaged CSV export into a specific named Bitwarden family collection?

See here for instructions on how to condition a .CSV file for import into an organization. The column titled collections will allow you to specify which collection(s) each item should be placed in.

While this does import a CSV into an organization using the collection name specified it does NOT import into an existing collection. It causes the creation of a new collection with the same name with the information you are trying to import in it. Iā€™ve attempting to do two different test imports of slight different CSVs I now have three collections inside the organization with the exact same name. How can we get the import to use the existing collection in the organization?

Hey @Regain3764 currently you can either import into the individual vault, or into the organization vault, importing into a specific collection is currently a feature request: Import into organization's collection.

Currently importing in the Org will create duplicates of any existing collections and you can delete these before importing if needed.

You an alternatively Import into an individual vault and bulk select and move into a specific collection from there.

@bw-admin What happens if one imports a .json and has set the collectionIds value to match an existing collection ID?

Currently that field is just for syncing users and groups from an existing directory service via SCIM or Directory Connector.

1 Like

I did exactly the same, but how to import it? Thereā€™s no generic CSV import choice, is there?

(all fixed) I had to do the import from the Web Vault, not my phone.