Premium Access Addon - Family

I have been checking out bitwarden lately, having been a lastpass user for many years.
I was seriously considering swaping my whole family over but was suprised to see that with the premium access addon costing $3.33/month it actually works out more expensive than Lastpass families.
Bitwarden family + premium access = $4.33/month (5 accounts)
Lastpass family = $4/month (6 accounts)

obviously without the addon bitwarden is far cheaper but i was very suprised to see that the addon takes it over the lastpass price. Dont know whether it has been considered to drop the $0.33/month to bring it into parity (despite the account limit of 5 not 6).

The cost analysis of LP families: 6 premium accounts for the price of 2 LP premium accounts.

If bitwarden family was setup in this same price structure it would cost £2/month.
Which i agree would be extremely cheaper than it is now. I’m just wondering if there is a reason why the premium addon needs to be such a bump in price and whether a more competitive price has been considered.

Same here! I was about to test Bitwarden to consider a switch but then got really surprised when reading about the Premium Access Addon which is not mentioned near the pricing.

So it’s not $1 per month for a family of 5 members ($12 per year) as the Addon ads an additional $40 a year. $52 a year = $4.33/month.

I don’t think dropping the price solves the issue of this not being clear. I’d just include the Addon for all organisation models so all it’s users are premium users. Maybe raise the price for Family a bit for that if it helps. Don’t sell the Addon, really makes the pricing structure a mess in my opinion as a nearly-user :wink:

The thing that I don’t understand is that if I use Bitwarden infrastructure I can share between two people under the free tier, if I self-host then I have to pay to share with anyone. What is the logic of it being free if I use Bitwarden resources but paid if I use my own?

Pricing is generally designed to maximize the benefit to shareholders. So … it’s magic. If logic in pricing was widely considered a necessity, we would all be flying SouthWest, at least within US.

“So it’s not $1 per month for a family of 5 members ($12 per year) as the Addon ads an additional $40 a year. $52 a year = $4.33/month.”

Yup.

I noticed the same thing and it turned me off to the family plan completely because it’s just my wife and I. So I can technically do it cheaper by getting two individual accounts and creating an org ($32/yr). I’m still in the evaluation phase, so my answer right now is to see if just the free features work for me.

The response from BW is that they are two separate products. But it’s clear from multple accounts that presenting this as two different products is confusing to consumers. I love the idea that it’s OSS, but not so sure that it’s worth a premium over LP or other more refined systems out there.

I think it would be best if “Users get premium” would be the default for Families, Teams and Organization accounts. And then increase the price for families a bit. Much more clear.

But it would already make a difference if the Premium Access Addon would be clear from the beginning. Probably a mention of the Premium Access Addon on the homepage in the box for the Families will do for the short term.

Note I asked how Teams would acquire Premium, for this they have to upgrade to Enterprise. So my guess for you and your spouse is you’d also need to upgrade to Families.

I “think” that I could do it the way I’m thinking, but I would probably have to make multiple payments. That is… my wife would have to buy her premium, I would have to buy mine, and one of us would have to buy the “family” plan.

It’s all convoluted.

ETA: I would be all over it if they would just simplify it to something like $12 family and $8 per user. But why should I I spend $40 on premium features for 2 users?