Password Manager reported I have 407 exposed passwords

So I just stated using Bitwarden and I have 407 exposed passwords.

What is the best way to deal with this? Is there an easier way than to goto each website and change my older password?

What should I do if the website is dead?

@JONCHGO Welcome to the forum!

There is no easy way. You have to go to each website, and initiate a password change procedure. It helps to set up the new password in the corresponding Bitwarden vault entry first, and to the transfer the new password into the password change form using the auto-fill function.

Please refer to this post for step-by-step instructions on how to change your passwords.

What should I do if the website is dead?

In that case, it doesn’t matter, as long as the password you used on the “dead” account is not also used for any of your “live” accounts.

1 Like

@JOMCHGO welcome not only to the forum but to a significant improvement in your security, albeit with some work. I dare take the inference from “407 exposed passwords” that you are likely repeating passwords and that many or most are rather old, i.e. short and not very good.

The nearest I can offer to a shortcut depends on your capability to script a DNS check on domains to exclude manual effort on those no longer in operation. You may also try exporting your passwords in .CSV so you can sort by site to catch duplicates. Other than that, start with the usual priority of financials and work down.

1 Like