Password Incorrect when I KNOW I inputted the correct one

So I changed my master password, I even wrote it down. After I changed it, I logged in using the new master password and it worked. Restarted my pc and tried logging in, it said invalid username or password. Tried that multiple times, like a lot. Still would not work. Tried it on my phone, same thing. Tried it on different browser, same thing. I also tried using the bitwarden software for my desktop pc, and same thing. I ran multiple antivirus scans using malwarebytes and windows defender, and both came out clean, no issues. What a joke! Also, anyone use the bitwarden extension for firefox? I ask because, sometimes it acts so slow. Also prior to this, when I input the master password it would say incorrect and after one try then it would work. But now - smh, I can’t even login. I have to delete my account. Now I got to go through like 90 + sites and sort my passwords out! To the devs of this software, GOOD JOB, BRAVO!. Thanks for the waste of money and time!

1 Like

I have seen numerous similar issues over the past couple of years. In every single case, it was user error. Often it was a missed capital or an accidental space inserted before or after the password, an accidental international character that was used, etc. Keep trying - I am sure you will figure out what went wrong.

Hopefully you made a backup of your vault before you changed your master password, as recommended. If so, you can always delete your account and setup a new one, and restore the information to the new vault. You can also use the same password over, if desired. But you will have to contact Bitwarden directly to transfer your Premium subscription to the new account, which has to be done manually on their end. Good luck!

1 Like

Hi David thanks for the reply,

Stupid me, did not make a backup of my vault. I tried multiple times trying to figure out what the password was, and honestly I don’t want to go through that anymore. I used a virtual keyboard when I changed my master password. And when I logged in to test it out, I used the virtual keyboard. Too bad, because the few months of using bitwarden, it was going good, but recently I started noticing those issues that I mentioned above.

For those who stumble upon this with a Google search and get this error in the desktop app and don’t run their own self-hosted server, you might be trying to log into the wrong server (URL). If you’re in Europe, in the first screen (login dialog) of the app, there is a dropdown at the bottom, from which you can pick the server. The options are: bitwarden.com (their US server) and their EU server. If you’re in the dialog/screen asking for password, you don’t see this dropdown there, go back to the email entry screen to see the dropdown and pick your server.

My account was on the US server (I assume most accounts are on this server), however, the EU server was pre-selected — perhaps because of my IP address. Changing this to bitwarden.com fixed the issue and I was able to sign in without any errors.

If this doesn’t help, try to see if you can log into the web vault. If you can sign in there, there is an issue with the desktop or mobile app. Deleting the app and reinstalling might help as the app might have a corrupted state which can be fixed with re-installing. If re-installing doesn’t help either (but you can log in on the web), try to get in touch with Bitwarden’s support, especially if you’re a paid customer. They should be able to help you out.

Also, once you manage to get in again, if your password is a long nonsense like mine was, change it to 4-5 words (without special characters or numbers or capital letters) with a simple separator character. Just make sure to pick words that are not easily guessable, even if the attacker knows you personally or can find your info from social networks or the internet in general. The modern decryption (KDF) algorithms, esp. Argon2id, used by Bitwarden are slow enough to prevent brute force attempts. This is what I learned today, and made me change my password to a memorable one so that I won’t have to store it in other password managers.

Exactly the same thing has happened to me. The day they released the last one. Version, I changed the password and entered the application (previously II wrote a note with the new password). When I wanted to re-enter it tells me the wrong password and that happens to me on all PCs and on my mobile. Solution they give me: delete the account. GREAT JOB.

99% of the time it’s the user entering the password incorrectly. Sorry but math is math.