Password generation default settings

Is there a way to customize the settings for the Bitwarden Password Generator? I’d love to be able to fix my own preferences e.g. password length, types of characters, etc. which shall then remain fixed for both my web and mobile apps. Thanks!

Hello Andre, and welcome to the community!

There isn’t a dedicated customization option by itself, but the desktop, mobile, and extension clients seem to remember the previous setting you used, even after you log out and log back in.

Hi! Thanks for your kind and quick reply! However, I’ve noticed that neither on my Chrome browser nor on my Android mobile the previous settings are remembered by the app. It oddly always defaults back to just 6 characters… Tks

Can you tell us more about your setup?

When I tested this on Chrome version 124.0.6367.119 (in Windows 11), using version 2024.4.2 of Bitwarden’s Web Vault app (vault.bitwarden.com), password generator settings are retained after logging out and logging back in or after restarting the browser, unless I clear cookies (e.g., using Incognito mode and then restarting the browser).

Hi, thanks again for all your prompt replies and attempt to help. My current setup is Chrome 124.0.6367.119 (64-bit, in Windows 10). I use both the Bitwarden Chrome extension as well as the mobile app for my Android phone. Both are having the same issue that I had reported, despite having cleaned cookies, restarted the laptop and the browser, and kept all apps updated. Not sure why this is happening…

What I was trying to hint at in my response is that it is exactly the clearing of cookies that results in the loss of password generator settings.

But are you experiencing this issue in the browser extension as well as the web app?

If so, navigate to the following folder:

%localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Local Extension Settings\nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb

If you use browser profiles other than the default profile, then you may have to find the correct profile folder under %localappdata%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ and subsequently navigate to the subfolder Local Extension Settings\nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb within your profile folder.

Look for a .log file that has a six-digit numerical name (e.g., 000123.log), and open it in Notepad. If you search for the term passwordGenerationOptions, you should be able to see the password generator options for your browser extension.

Thanks again for your agile replies! I’m under a busy schedule these days, but I’ll keep monitoring and may come back to this thread if the issue persists. Many tks!