Passkeys - can you turn off the master password verification for sites?

This, exactly. I’m OK with skipping UV even when “required” by the RP as long as uv=false is returned. This allows the RP to decide how to react to non-cooperation (perhaps unlocking only lesser capabilities).

From a UX perspective, I would display one of these two messages:

and then alongside the UV action include the option to “Continue without verification”.

Help me understand your ranking. Is there something I am failing to consider, or do we simply weigh the risks differently?

My significant risk factors:

Non-UV Passkey advantages:

• Better MITM protections thanks to end-to-end (website to vault) encryption.
  • Better protection from website compromise, due to the server only having the public key.

Password/TOTP advantages:

• Better vault-disclosure protection due to the ability to pepper or “eggs in two baskets”.

Equal considerations:

• Both are single-factor (“something you have” – the vault).
  • Both are resistant to replay attacks.

I suggest that in the world of vaults and soft-tokens, password/TOTP is a only a single factor (“something you have”), just like non-UV Passkeys. In other words, I view non-UV as the status-quo, and UV as the gain.

I’m also not entirely sure how much the concept of MFA matters as we grow beyond simple passwords. In many cases, I feel better having a single high-security padlock than two lower-security padlocks with different keys.

It makes the contents of the vault insufficient to complete the authentication process, much like peppering or two-baskets can do for plain passwords. One’s level of faith in their vault security will determine how much this matters to them.

P.S. Hating on slow-mode. I would much rather respond to two different messages in separate posts to better keep things straight.