Open login dialog when browser starts

Feature name

Open login dialog when browser starts

Feature function

• This will open a dialog box to prompt for master password.
  • User don’t have to click for password that unlocks bitwarden . That will saves couple of click. Bitwarden will automatically prompt for password when browser is opened.
  • Login_dialog

Related topics + references

I want to show that lastpass had an option just like this . when browser restarts it prompt for vault password first…

Putting my full support for this feature. So many times I go to a site and wonder why Bitwarden doesn’t autofill then remember I haven’t logged into Bitwarden.

1 Like

click on bitwared icone then settings then options click enable auto-fill on page fill

About half of my sites login automatically, for the others I have to right-click,
“Bitwarden>Auto-Fill>[site URL]” I had that on my previous PW manager, and was told it depends on how the login page is programmed. Is that true of BW?

+1 for me
Alternatively, the password prompt could also appear only when the autofill would recognize an input field or an account registration would be recognized. If I create a new account somewhere and forget to log in to bitwarden beforehand, the autosave password is not triggered. This function would solve the problem.

1 Like

New feature (stolen from LP)-
Display the BW login pop-up when I launch the browser (Safari).

Perhaps this can be adjusted to Safari:

Hey all!

While the team is looking into this, one quick solution is to set the browser start page to the extension. Go into the browser settings and set the on-open or homepage link to the below.

[Copied from another thread]

Chrome, Brave, Vivaldi
chrome-extension://nngceckbapebfimnlniiiahkandclblb/popup/index.html?uilocation=popout#/lock

Opera:
chrome-extension://ccnckbpmaceehanjmeomladnmlffdjgn/popup/index.html?uilocation=popout#/lock

Edge
extension://jbkfoedolllekgbhcbcoahefnbanhhlh/popup/index.html?uilocation=popout#/lock

Firefox, Tor browser:
moz-extension://a01abe27-c9d4-48ef-aed2-a0acca72a6fa/popup/index.html?uilocation=popout#/lock

You can change that end string there to get to different pages too:

Login screen:
/popup/index.html?uilocation=popout#/home
Lock screen
/popup/index.html?uilocation=popout#/lock

Either should work/re-route depending on your vault state.

(the above are all set to be the lock page)

1 Like

Hi, i use the browser plugin for firefox.
I use the option to lock my fault by restart the browser.

Is there a way that the master passwort come in foreground when i start the browser or when the first login where needed ? (like the firefox internal passwort-vault)

I’d like this too! At least, give us a kind of a workaround that the Bitwarden menu would be open when Firefox start and Bitwarden is locked.

Thank you in advance!

1 Like

+1 for this, I would definetly like to have this option

1 Like

Yes please. Would like the option to set a “Master Password” prompt every time i open my firefox browser please?.

This way, if anyone else opens my firefox browser, then Bitwarden asks for the password before sites can be logged into automatically.

thank you

Yes! It is quite jarring to hit the autofill shortcut and get nothing (I’m still in the “evaluation” stages for whether I want to pick Bitwarden as a permanent LastPass alternative, so I momentarily lose faith in its ability to find password fields). Having it bring up a prompt for the master password would make the experience feel so much more polished.

1 Like

The option to prompt for password on browser startup would immensely helpful! It’s always the first thing I do when I open my browser.

+1 Would much more easy foe older people! To complicated for them to click on the blue shield and type the password.

Does 73 YO qualify as an older person? If so, although I have no problem with clicking on the blue shield when I’m not logged in, I nevertheless, I support your request for a prompt as I cannot predict when (if) I will eventually need (or desire) one.

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to note, although it’s currently not possible to prompt for login on browser start, which this Feature Request is asking for, it does prompt you to login when triggering auto-fill.

If you use the auto-fill shortcut (Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+L) or the context menu (right-click) while on a site you wish to auto-fill (log-in), the extension opens a new tab prompting you to log-in. Once logged-in the tab closes automatically and the previously visited site is auto-filled if a URI match is found.

More information can be found here

@bw-admin Could you please merge this including votes with Open login dialog when browser starts

Kind regards,
Daniel

Hey,
I used the method detailed in this comment and would like to be redirect to another page as soon as I authenticated.
Is that possible? Some kind of redirect parameter at the end of the extension url?

Furthermore the URL from that post didn’t work for my firefox installation, but by pressing Cmd/Ctrl+Shift+L I could find out the URL i needed to use. The uuid seemed to be wrong.

remember to change the end of the URL from ctrl+shift+L : )

that’s weird, when I log in through the page on login, my vault opens, but the extension dropdown is stuck at entering my email… (it is prefilled, and i have to continue to login, even use my ubikey)

the extension seems to throw me out no matter what i do, even if i login through the normal pop up. Guess I’ll try a reinstall

The problem persists. If I open any of these two URLs on startup:

moz-extension://8b62d83d-8e6a-4d60-8e04-552a7b1fdd7f/popup/popup/index.html?uilocation=popout
moz-extension://8b62d83d-8e6a-4d60-8e04-552a7b1fdd7f/popup/index.html?uilocation=popout#/home

My extension goes back to the point where I have to put in my email, which is prefilled. If I do that and login (through the popup) I get to the vault, but as soon as I leave the popup, it resets to the point where I have to put in my email adress

Yes please!!! Add this feature!