New version crashes safari

This should’ve been pushed as an emergency/expedited update (assuming the Mac app store review process works similarly to the iOS one).

1 Like

definitely agree on this one :slight_smile:
Btw: Im on MacBook Air ( 2017 ) :: Intel version and BW works well…regardless browser.
When I switch to MBA M1, bug appears…

Still same issue where password window takes a long time to appear after clicked even after updating to 1.25.1.

Probably M1 Mac issues were ignored in this update unfortunately.

Still crashing on 1.25.1 on M1 Macs too.

Browser 1.49.1 (included in Desktop 1.25.1) seems to be a quick patch to mainly deal with Firefox issues:

Based on comments for preparing 1.49.1 (bitwarden/browser #1710), it sounds like Safari fixes are still being worked on.

The last official comment I see on M1 crashes was that Bitwarden team was getting support from Apple’s Safari engineering team.

The recommended course of action is to install the Bitwarden App from the Apple App Store and then in the settings check the “Install extension in Safari” check box and that should reinstall the extension. Problem is that the Bitwarden App installed that way either (1) immediately crashes when you try and open it or (2) as seen here crashes Safari making it unusable. (Bitwarden App crashes for me).

The App installed from the dmg file downloaded from the Bitwarden website works fine. But since Apple has prohibited Apps downloaded from outside their walled garden Apple App Store from installing Safari extensions you hav to copy paste username/passwords into login fields to use it with Safari.

Probably the easiest thing to do right now if you want to use the browser extension is use another browser besides Safari until the Bitwarden techs have the problem solved.

Not a perfect solution, but there you are.

I’m on OSX High Sierra and Safari 13.1.2

Latest Bitwarden Safari extension only supports Safari 14.0+, so you will need to install older version via DMG and use temporary workaround to prevent autoupdates.

In the same GitHub issue discussion, it appears that Bitwarden will be releasing a locked v1.24.7 that disables auto-updates.

Thanks for the suggestion. I am using the workaround at the moment.

Thanks! I have for now lock the auto-update for safari. Let’s hope that there will be a solution soon, but knowing Apple they will keep finding ways to make it difficult for us.

Same issue on M1 Macbook Pro - i love bit warden but this extension for safari is frustrating :frowning:

1 Like

Evidently Bitwarden developers have abandoned anyone users that are using Safari 13 or earlier as incompatible and are only going to provide an old version that has auto-updates disabled and that won’t be receiving any new features or patches in the future.

You can find the it at the following Github link.

Also deciding whether or not to renew my subscription when it comes up due or just let it lapse since there’s no real point in paying developers that won’t be working on a version that works with my browser of choice.

Is this issue still being worked on by Bitwarden?
I can’t use Safari (newest version) with that extension at all any more.
Can Bitwarden make any statement on the progress?

2 Likes

I also do have the exact same issue as stated above. I also can not use the extension with Safari as it keeps crashing. Please make sure that an update will be rolled-out asap.
I am on a MacBook Air M1 2020 model.

I also switched from Intel MBP 15" to MBA M1 and HAD exactly the same problems.

Once I have checked the certs and they were fine. Further I recognized, that these problems does only show up at home. At work AND with VPN I never had those crashes.

After some more investigations I found the reason for my crashes:

IPv6 was running but no IPv6 DNS was published. After some changes on my FortiGate regarding Prefix-Delegation and DHCPv6, Safari & Bitwarden are working fine again.

I found two working solutions:

1. Disable IPv6 completely (back to the 90´s…)
  2. Fix DHCPv6 and check IPv6 DNS configuration. (The better choice…)

I am thrilled to get feedback if this is working on your side too.

Best regards

Maik

I also had the safari crash issue linked to the Bitwarden extension. I have a Mac Mini M1 processor.

It just fixed by itself this morning since the Mac OS update. I am now to the version Big Sur 11.3

No additional extension updates were required.

Thanks,
-Florin

1 Like

Thanks for confirming!

@kendra FYI

1 Like