My vault is EMPTY! URGENT HELP!

Still empty…I can’t reply more than 3…

[Screenshot redacted by mod.]

To be honest, I wanted to suggest extracting some cipher strings and trying to decrypt them with some external scripts with the account key you extracted. But right now, I think it’s most likely that somehow your accounts cipher key got out of sync with the ciphers (entries), if the issue is also present in older clients.

Did you rotate your vault key recently perhaps?

1 Like

2-3 months ago, I rotated it. But it still worked fine after that.

Can you provide me any guide/tool or something I can recover my vault ? I am willing to provide any key/master password to you guys if it required

If the account encryption key is out of sync with the cipher encryption, then you’re probably out of luck.

Do you have any old system images or other drive backups for any of your devices?

There is this script:

However, it only works with password-protected exports, which you can’t make because your vault is not decrypting. Since you have vs-code and github desktop in the client, in case you have (some) python skills, you could try modifying the script to take the symmetric key that you got in one of the steps above, and commenting out any “mac verification” in the script.

But as mentioned above, I suspect it’s out of sync (somehow) because it also doesn’t work with older clients… Bitwarden support might be able to tell what’s going on.

Actually, it also works with the data.json, which @anon86773237/@Thinking8519 can copy from the bitwarden-appdata folder found in the same location where the file Bitwarden-Portable-2024.2.1.exe was saved. A copy of the data.json file would have to be made while the Portable App is in an unlocked state.

I doubt this will be successful if the encryption key is corrupted, but can’t hurt to try.

A recovery may be possible if a data.json cache can be extracted from an old backup image of one of OP’s devices (in which the encryption key is presumably still in sync with the ciphers).

1 Like

Thank you guys for assisting me, giving me your precious time, I think I need to say goodbye to my 100+ vault items.
Using Bitwarden for 2 yrs+. I need a switch from it.
Thanks again for helping me out.

I’m guessing by your most recent comment that you’ve never made any backups of any of your devices, and that you also don’t have the inclination to attempt a decryption of your data.json file using the BitwardenDecrypt tool.

Regardless, there is still a chance that Bitwarden’s Customer Support may be able to resolve this issue (and if they do, I hope that you post here again with an update).

Even if you decide to switch to another password manager, it will be worth your while to work with Bitwarden’s Customer Support to determine if your data can be recovered, as this will save you the trouble of resetting passwords for 100+ accounts.

And as a final word of advice: No matter what password management solution that you end up using, it is essential to make backups of your data. I am sorry that you had to learn that lesson the hard way.

Hi @SkilledAlpaca, this is your second hi-jacking of someone else’s forum thread, in which you are referencing several unrelated unrelated problems as being “the same issue” (which they clearly are not).

If you yourself are currently experiencing an issue with your Bitwarden account, then go ahead and create your own topic in the Ask the Community forum (and also get in touch with the official Customer Support). In your new thread, please describe the symptoms that you are experiencing, and what steps you have taken to attempt to troubleshoot the issue.

Contacted Bitwarden Support, they resolved the issue

5 Likes

My vault now:

That’s great news. Did they provide any information about what actions they took to resolve the issue? Since they were able to fix it without having diagnosed what caused the issue, did they say anything about restoring your data from a backup?

I don’t know, but they asked me about my old email I used to sign in before. They asked about exactly when this issue occurred, and then they told me to log back in with my old email (all passwords were there) and re-change it to new email.
May be they restored the previous state of my password DB ? Looks like a backend issue. Idk
But so far so good :smile::smile:

Would you mind sharing some of those details with us here (not your old email address, but if you could share the date on which you changed the email address and the date when you first noticed the issue, that would be helpful)?

Seems like you encountered a very rare back-end glitch, and I’m always interested in learning more about those.

I had to modify this comment bcz I need to wait 10 more hours to reply

Yes I am absolutely 100% sure my vault looked like this before changing the email id:, I ignored it at first bcz I thought it was a UI bug

No, I changed my master password & rotated account encryption key 2-3 months ago. My vault even worked fine after that.

Very interesting. Before you changed your email address, are you sure that your vault login items were present but blank (as you showed above), or is it possible that the entire vault appeared to be empty with no login items to list (as shown here)?

Also, do you by any chance recall having either changed your master password or used the “rotate account encryption key” option around the same timeframe that you changed your email address?

FYI, there is a (usually fairly benign) sync issue that happens from time to time, in which the vault appears to be completely empty after logging in — this can be fixed by logging out and logging back in.

However, by changing your email address while the Web Vault was in such a state, you may have triggered a corruption event similar to the bug that @Quexten has demonstrated in GitHub Issue #7709. @Quexten, what do you think — is it possible that the email address change by itself (with no account key rotation) could have a similar end result?

1 Like

If op had rotated the key in the state in the screenshot, the rotation would have either crashed, or their vault would have been permanently corrupted due to #7709. However, the cause of this issue seems to be different. The email is used to derrive the key used to unlock the userkey. I’m not sure how the vault in op’s case were able to unlock their userkey (with the wrong email alone it would have not decrypted at all) but not the ciphers. Another possibly un-triaged bug in changing emails maybe?

1 Like

FYI added a link to this community post to #7709

Maybe — without personal knowledge of that part of the codebase, I speculate that perhaps the Master Password Hash (which must be recomputed after an email change) is saved before the new Protected Account Key is saved, and that some interruption may have occurred between those two events.