Move item between collections

I started using bitwarden and I shared about 100+ passwords from my vault to my organization. Now they are in the wrong collection (default collection). I want to move them to a newly created collection. However I have been unable to do so, only 1 by 1.

How can I move all (selected) items to a different organization collection?

ps
I tried from my vault; only allows to move to personal folders not collection
I tried to unshare; impossible
I tried to delete; also deletes in my personal vault
I tried to select them from the organisation; no actions other than delete
I tried to re-share to a different collection; 0 of the items you selected are sharable

7 Likes

:warning::zap:I tried this out but still be careful as you are dealing with a large number of passwords.

Export the Organization Vault

Admins and Owners may export their Organization Vault from the Web Vault or CLI:

From the Web Vault

1. Open your Organization and select the Tools tab.

Export Organization Vault

Export Organization Vault

1. Select Export Vault from the left-hand Tools menu.
  2. On the Export Vault page:
  • Select a File Format (.json, .csv, or .json (Encrypted)).
  • Enter your Master Password.
  1. Select the Export Vault button to download your Vault Export. You will be prompted to specify a location for download.

Also, create a copy of the csv file, just in case anything happensđŸ˜¶

2. Delete the old collections after exporting the vault.

3. Change the CSV File

Open the csv file in Microsoft Excel/LibreOffice Calc

Change the collections of the items. You can use find and replace to quickly replace the values in the collections column.

Save the file and double check everything.

4. Import the CSV file into the organisation

1. Open your Organization and select the Tools tab.
  2. Select Import Vault from the left-hand Tools menu.
  3. On the Import Vault page:
  • Select a File Format Bitwarden .csv.
  1. Select the Import button

Hopefully, all will go well. If anything goes wrong, just import the second copy of the csv file. Don’t blame me.

2 Likes

Good job on finding a way round this limitation, but the fact that you can’t:

• Import directly to a Collection or even folder is baffling
  • Cannot move items in bulk between collections
  • Cannot filter by unassigned in the user vault
  • Cannot filter items in the vault to exclude items from collections
    And not directly related but annoying
  • Cannot search by password

Means I will be going straight back to 1Password, despite the additional cost. I really wanted Bitwarden to work for me but these limitations mean it is a no go.

9 Likes

Agreed. This lack of functionality from a paid product is poor and needs fixing ASAP.

6 Likes

Danger Will Robinson! DANGER!

1. The BitWarden Help text says:

Vault Exports will not include [file attachments]

1. Oh, and there’s another step before you’re done. The original instructions say to Delete the old collections. That means BW will put all the items in those collections into the Unassigned collection. Once you import your CSV file, you will have duplicate items, one in Unassigned and the other in your new collections. Only after you’ve confirmed that the import did what you want, you can open Unassigned, Select All, and delete the originals.

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

I agree, that’s a big deal if you move it to the wrong spot. Super annoying

I found it is possible to do it one at a time
 but that would take forever

Looking for this option as well

Thanks all, bulk management is coming, we are reviewing designs today, for now if you need this, you can export and condition CSV, just keep in mind that export doesn’t include password history, file attachments and send, and you would need to back up your vault and purge to avoid duplication (at your own descretion), and delete collections manually.

1 Like

What is the turnaround time for this? This is rather critical functionality and if the exporting doesn’t include those things, that makes it rather useless. Our company switched over from LastPass to Bitwarden and purchased licenses for our users, but without these, we may need to switch back to LastPass. We were hoping to avoid that due to LastPass’s recent security breach, but functionality is just as important as security.

1 Like

Any update on the functionality becoming available? This really is a critical component which I would expect to be included in a password management platform. We migrated from Lastpass which had this functionality and now we are expanding teams in the company. We want to create new collections and move passwords from another collection. This workaround isn’t great as we do have some file attachments on some of the entries. A simple checkbox → copy/move option would be great and is a no brainer.

1 Like

Is this ever going to be a thing? An ETA would be nice.

:top: This feature is really important. Exporting and importing data cannot be a long-term answer to this problem.

1 Like

Please go ahead, it s critical to manage correctly pwd access.

2 Likes

It’s important to have such functionality so that you’re not left doing CSV exports as a workaround. Each time you do those you lose attachments, password hosty and risk duplicate files,

If also leaves your exports exposed to some degree until you secure delete them.

Some idea of a timeline for this would be helpful.

Following. Would love to be able to move items between collections to better organize.

This past week I preformed a migration in my organization that had 3 “master” collections.

I was able to select the box for collections and items in the vault but I don’t see why there was no option to do a mass move. The option to move is only on single collections or items.

Also, I think it’s ridiculous that if I move a collection, it doesn’t also move the collection’s sub-collections.

Really disappointed by the lack of this feature!