More Passphrase word separator options

The Passphrase word separator is restricted to 1 specific character. It’d be nice to have multiple characters and/or random characters as options.

For examples:
Multiple Character Word separator - I manually enter &$ and Bitwarden returns Five&$Target&$Blue&$Fish

Random Character Word Separator - I leave the field blank and Bitwarden returns Five+Target&Blue$Fish

And for the combo
Multiple Random Character Word Separator - I ask for 3 random word separators and Bitwarden returns Five+&_Target@#&Blue+#@Fish

I can see where the first example would be useful, but the random ones would make it very hard to remember the passphrase, wouldn’t it? Passphrases are useful when the credentials need to be memorised.

3 Likes

I like the idea of different separators between words. I don’t want any part of my generated password to be predictable. I’ve also suggested that random letters be capitalized, not just the first letter of every word for that reason.

1 Like

Not wrong, for sure. That’s a big reason for a Passphrase over a completely random password. My thought is that it’s still easier to read and type in if I can’t copy and paste it auto fill.

1 Like

Completely agree with the random capitalization. This is another example of the ease of remembering something. If it’s randomly capitalized I may not be able to remember it as well. But it would still be easier to read compared to a completely random password.

1 Like

I can see what your concern is, but maybe this can be minimized by allowing a small selection of separators and randomizing them per credential, not throughout a generated phrase.

@Mark_D Welcome to the forum!

Your suggestion is more sensible than the two randomized separator options proposed in the original request. However, keep in mind that randomizing the separator character only adds a small amount of entropy (at most 5 bits of entropy, and that is if you randomly select the separator from a pool consisting of every special character from a US keyboard). If you’re trying to make your passphrase more secure, you can just add an extra word to get an additional 13 bits of entropy.

Finally, as a workaround, you can always use the random password generator to randomly select a special character, and then specify the selected character as the word separator in the passphrase generator (by typing or pasting it into the word separator field).

1 Like