I’m a newbie, I just put Bitwarden on my Ubuntu VM. I followed instructions found on the official page and on the web. So far, I’m impressed how plugin works. But I need to start using it with mobile devices such as Android and iOS.
I originally expected to use it locally and access via VPN but it’s seeming that for Android I still need SSL cert from the CA like Let’s Encrypt???
I just need to clarify the steps for obtaining SSL cert from Let’s Encrypt, verifying, configuring local DNS and access via domain name over the LAN.
What I have so far.
- Working Bitwarden and verified instance on Ubuntu VM.
- Free No-IP domain, ex: blablasecure.ddns.n e t
- MS AD DNS machine - although it seats on other VLAN that I use for work, it currently allowed to connect to Bitwarden, which is also seats on its own /30 VLAN.
My Bitwarden was configured with self-signed certificate.
Let me know if my logic is correct to make SSL work and or make it accessible from the WAN side (although I’m ok use of VPN).
- Install certbot app via SSH on Bitwarden VM (Ubuntu) and point to blablasecure.ddns.n e t as a domain and generate the cert. I’m not so clear how to verify the domain…
- Create blablasecure.ddns.n e t zone and A record with Bitwarden LAN IP to match that domain.
- Modify eth0 and point OS DNS to my Windows DNS server once SSL cert is verified.
- Export cert files via portal or SSH and import to Android phone.
- Setup reverse proxy to make https:// blablasecure.ddns.net from the LAN.