Make autofill of newly-generated passwords possible

Unless I’ve missed something, the only action that can be done with a password newly-generated by the browser extension is to copy it to the clipboard. Why not an additional menu-option for autofilling this into new-password fields on we pages?

More than just a convenience, my main reason for requesting this is that some password-change web pages refuse to paste text from the clipboard.
I’ve just run across this, and I’ sure I’ve seen it elsewhere before.

Hi @paxe!

There is an option when creating a new login to “autofill and save” - does that cover your request?

Here’s the contribution from @eliykat last year:

Thanks, but no, not quite what I mean. My description wasn’t as clear enough… by new password, I’m mean referring to changing that for a site already in my vault. I said “newly-generated” to mean a password from Bitwarden’s Generator. Perhaps my title can be improved somewhat?

I guess this would have to be a new button from the Generator and/or a new menu-item from the right-click popup.

When I changed a password on a given site, and I log in with it… bitwarden always asks me if it should update my password. Doesn’t this do what you want?

No, you’re not following me at all. That happens afterwards, and my issue
has nothing to do with either reading from or writing to the vault.

In view of this, perhaps autofill is not the right terminology to use.
What I’m asking for is an autofill-like feature from the Generator
rather than the vault.

I get it! And I like it!
Something like a hotkey allowing to generate a password along the defaults, and immediately paste it into the form field you’re in. That would indeed be a nice feature.

@paxe @JurgenG - something that may be helpful: you can use CTRL/CMD + SHIFT + 9 (while in the browser) to generate a password and copy to the clipboard without the UI :+1:

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/keyboard-shortcuts/

No… kindly read my initial feature suggestion, my subject doesn’t really encompass the whole thing. The clipboard is precisely the shortcoming in existing bitwarden functionality, that needs emphasizing.

Good. Also worth mentioning is that Lastpass has been able to do this as long as I can recall, probably 10 years or more.

In fact it just occurred to me that I can use the Lastpass browser extension to solve the problem right now, even if I intend to put the result in my Bitwarden vault. I will likely do that as my solution going forward.

I agree with the OP on this request.

I just recently moved all my accounts from Lastpass to BitWarden and I went through and change all my passwords.

But I ran into a couple of sites where they don’t allow you paste your newly generated password into the new password fields. So imagine creating 20 to 30 character or more password and being told that you have type it in. I pasted an example below.

Now I don’t blame BitWarden for this as they can’t account for how different sites approach how you enter new passwords. But it would be nice if there was a feature where BitWarden and fill in the new passwords into the field.

Created a PR for doing this

This whole issue can also be solved by simply saving the generated password in Bitwarden, and then auto-filling.

Thus, to update a password:

1. Open the existing login item in the browser extension.

2. Copy the existing password (if the form needs the “old password”).

3. Click Edit.

4. Click :arrows_counterclockwise: in the password field.

5. Click Yes and Select.

6. Click Save.

7. Click Auto-fill.

8. Paste the old password in to the “old password” field (if applicable).

9. Submit password change form.

While this could work much of the time, it’s highly sub-optimal.
Why would you want to manually put a new password in you vault
before you even know whether it conforms to the site’s rules?
It might require several tries to get right.

It works much more reliably than the automatic “Save new logins” option.

Because it guarantees that you will never “lose” a password when the “Save new logins” function fails to work properly. And I don’t know why you consider this method to be more “manual” than the other method — is clicking Save at the top of the browser extension window really that different from clicking Save in the banner that prompts you to remember a submitted password?

That is true no matter which method you use to capture the password.

I’m not sure if I follow all you’re saying, but no matter, I’m not about to do your technique anyway. True, the automatic “Save new logins” option in Bitwarden doesn’t work much of the time, but I’d prefer to edit the old one once after I know it’s been changed.
I’ve been continuing to use the Lastpass extension for generating new passwords most of the time, and also find the form-fill functionality in that extension to be much more capable than Bitwarden’s. Unfortunately password generation there requires a Lastpass connection, but it seems some browsers nowadays have such a feature built in too.