Lost letters as I type in 'Search Vault' field

Bitwarden browser plugin Version: 1.57.0

Feature name

• Search Vault

I frequently type the name of the vault item I want in the Search Vault field. As I type, the field auto-searches the vault, but this frequently results in dropping one or more letter that I have typed, and then it finds nothing, since the remaining text doesn’t match anything. For example, I might type first, but I end up with firt.

I have encountered this problem in a lot of apps. While search-as-you-type may seem cool, I find it more problematic, and a nuisance. I would appreciate the option of disabling it, so search only happens when I hit Enter, or click a ‘search’ button.

Given all the current buzz over the new input delay bug, I thought I’d dig around to see how many more people complained about this one that’s been driving me bonkers over the months.

One. Net.

Wow.

Have my vote :slight_smile:

(E: OK, I’ve since found one more report :smile: )

Here is another feature request on this topic:

Autocomplete in “Search Vault” box needs to wait a bit

The two requests can probably be merged, although it won’t help the vote count, since the OP of the other Feature Request topic (@chesterakl) did not vote for his own idea.

@boneitis – if you found another Feature Request, please link it here (that way mods can merge the topics and combine all votes).

Didn’t know I need to vote for my own suggestion. I assumed that merely posting it would be enough to show that I was in support of it. Apparently not.

I have now voted for both.

At least on the browser version (haven’t noticed this elsewhere yet), when searching for a vault item using the search box, autocomplete will often interrupt and pull up items using what’s typed in so far - but that also interrupts me from completing my search term and will often cause me to mistype what I’m searching for and it will come up blank because of that mistype.

It would be helpful if autocomplete waits a certain amount of time after someone stops typing (like maybe 1/2 or 1 second?) before it tries to pull up the list. Then it wouldn’t interrupt the typing stream.

For the sake of doubly linking, I hope to facilitate a merge between the two topics. There is a fairly duplicate request over at Lost letters as I type in 'Search Vault' field , which already links to this thread.

To add some of my own feedback to the matter (much of this I already submitted as direct feedback on BW website):

In the best case, I highly urge a serious consideration of tweaking the behavior for the extension to not meddle with the text user-input field at all (or include an option for it to not do that), and perhaps instead, have the search results “catch up” to whatever is in the user-input field (as it usually does, but seemingly not 100% of the time). I understand that, architectures being what they are, this is possibly not feasible without a disproportionate amount of resources, if at all.

Short of that, I would still be very happy with something like a user-configurable setting to choose the amount of delay between typing a character and the extension (seemingly) actually firing off the query to the password cache (I originally thought it was performing a POST to remote servers, but it was clarified to me that the search is run all locally).

I did not find any setting for either of these.

In response to the preceding feedback, I was asked to provide a video demonstration by the BW team, if anyone else experiencing the same issue would be inclined to submit their own. My OBS install is borked, so I’ll have to get around to it when I can find the time.

Are you referring to the Github repository? I did find the following open bug report on Gitbhub, not sure if this is what you are referring to:

So it seems the issue is already on the radar of the dev team (see recent response by dbosompem), which is promising.

In any case, I’m paging @dh024 here to help with merging of the two Feature Requests, in case that helps further raise the visibility of this issue.

Ah, you are right. Looks like they’re already on it. :partying_face: Thank you for pointing that out.

As for where I submitted, I used a search engine to look for software feedback submissions, and some of the BW blog articles linked to the form on the main website.