Lost Access to 2FA

Hello!

I have a big problem.

I did a clean install of my windows and my phone at the same time. I was stupid enough not to make a backup of everything because I only save my calendar.

So I lost access to my Google 2FA and no longer know my Gmail account password.

I know my email address and master password and now I can’t log into my vault because of Google 2FA.

Is there any way that an administrator can remove the 2FA so that I can log back into my vault? I only set up 2FA in Bitwarden a few days ago.

Just checking here: you can bypass your 2FA if you have the recovery code, which would have been offered to you when you setup the 2FA. Did you record the recovery code at that time? If you have it and know your master password you will gain immediate access.

You could also contact Google and see if your “stuff” is still on their servers. Usually Google will have you setup a recovery for losing your account there as well.

From what I understand of this BW code there is NO way for an Admin here to bypass your 2FA on this end.

1 Like

Hi,

I don’t have the recovery code.
I’m trying to recover my google account with google recovery page, but no questions are asked.

I am financially ruined if I can’t get access to bitwarden or my google account.

Seems like you are out of luck, unfortunately.

Have you never created any backups of your devices, or of your vault?

Is it possible that you have used Bitwarden on some other device in the past (other than this phone and computer that you just wiped)? If you are going to check for this, it is extremely important that you disconnect these other devices completely from the internet before trying to launch any Bitwarden apps.

1 Like

No backups at all

I’m very sorry.

All I can say is that you will probably have better luck trying to get back into your Google account than into your Bitwarden account, so I would focus my efforts there.

Most services where you had passwords stored in Bitwarden would probably also have some account recovery process, but based on your comment about financial ruin, I assume that you were storing crypto seeds or something like that in your Bitwarden account.

Depending on how much money is at stake, it may also be worth your while to get in touch with a forensic data recovery service to see if they are able to recover anything that would allow you to access your Google account or Bitwarden vault (or even some unencrypted vault contents).

1 Like

You would probably already have thought of this, but did you set up anybody as emergency contact?

No, this is the first time I’ve used a password manager like bitwarden.
I thought 2FA was a good security feature and now it has ruined everything.

I am sorry you are getting “hurt” by BW’s security. The exact security that is designed to keep folks from getting into a vault that is not theirs. 2FA then is doing exactly what it is designed to do!

If you are someday able to get access to your Google credentials you will be able to restore your data vault. Please don’t blame 2FA. For all here reading this: please make sure you record your recovery code, and backup your TOTP credentials not relying on the device its stored on at the present time. These plus a simple data backup will leave you fully confident that you have access to most of your valuable stuff.

With great regret there are numerous posts here from folks in the exact same dilemma - without having needed backup credentials. Again, sorry to read this.

3 Likes

I know BW will not bypass 2FA but I do wonder how secure Google account recovery is.

I assume you are in the process of a review by the Google support team. Have you had any success?

No, I bought Google One to get access to support, but they say it’s impossible for the support team to change anything on a Google account because everything is handled by an algorithm