Lost 2FA and recovery code

I tried searching for a similar issue but couldn’t find one. My wife and I both use bitwarden. We have a default collection that we share between us. Anyway, she got a new phone and I stupidly didn’t remember to backup her authenticator app prior to switching to her new phone. Now, we don’t have access to the old phone so she is locked out of bitwarden currently. However, she was logged into a browser so we were able to export the vault without an issue and retain all of her passwords.

Here are my questions. Is the best route to just delete her account and create a new one? Can we create the new one with the same email once it is deleted? Can support just temporarily remove 2FA so we can set it up again? If we do end up deleting, will I have to add her back to the shared collection or will it automatically happen if it is the same email address?

Just trying to figure out the best route forward. Luckily, we have all the passwords but she just can’t login to bitwarden on her phone yet.

1 Like

Hi @bpdamas,

You’ll want to delete the account following the instructions here. We can’t disable 2FA for security reasons of course.

After deleting the account, you can create another with the same email, and then you’ll need to re-invite her to the Organization and assign access to the appropriate collections. Then you’ll be all set!

1 Like

@tgreer If I still have the username and password but I can’t access my email or the authenticator app, is there any way to recover my vault?

Hi @Lloyd_Folden! If you’ve lost 2FA access, I don’t believe there’s a way to recover the vault unless it’s tied to an Enterprise account with the appropriate configurations. If you’ve made vault backups recently, you may wish to delete your account and import from a backup. @bw-admin may have more information though!

@bw-admin any thoughts?

Hey @Lloyd_Folden do you have the recovery code or vault backup?

Is this for an individual or business account? If you’re part of an Enterprise account and your admin has control of 2FA via identity provider, that is also an option.

Welcome back, @tgreer! :confetti_ball: