Login to browser extensions when logging into desktop app and vice versa

Feature Request Description

As the title, if it possible to automatically log in the web browser when a windows bitwarden app already logged in and unlock?

Why I Want This Feature

When I use my Windows laptop I usually first log in my BitWarden Windows app, since it has more complete functionality then the web extension.

But at the same time if I want to use the auto-fill feature in my browser then I need to again log in my browser extension, and this duplicated work make me feel a little bit inconvenient.

Improve Auto Login Ability

I also saw another post requesting the feature to auto login to web vault when browser extension logged in. And I think these could merged into a single topic of improve auto-login ability of bitwarden, because it doesn’t make sense to let user enter the master password again if you can already know this user is qualified to access the vault.

Acutally I think all apps (including web vault, desktop apps, browser extension etc.) should have the ablity to auto login when it can confirm there is already an active logged in account on this device. Also there could be an option that allow users to disable this feature if they has some concern about the safety of this feature.

I support this, though substitute “desktop” for “Windows” in the title.

It would be really useful if the browser extensions could follow the lock state of the desktop app.

For example, if I unlocked the extension in the browser then close the browser, when the browser is reopened I need to unlock the extension again. It would be really useful if I could just unlock the desktop app and have the extension follow suit, similar to what 1Password can do, especially as I work across multiple browsers for work.

Thanks!

1 Like

As I understand, the requirements of biometric unlock were recently changed such that the desktop app now needs to be unlocked first before a biometric unlock can be performed in the browser extension. Given that, what’s the point of requiring a biometric step at all anymore? I think that the browser biometric function should just be removed entirely and replaced with this feature, in which the browser simply gets unlocked without any extra steps if the desktop app is unlocked. Wouldn’t that provide the same level of security as what we have currently, except with a more convenient workflow similar to what 1Password and others already achieve?

Thanks for considering this request, Shawn

1 Like

After logging onto the BitWarden web interface and then needing a browser instance, don’t make me log in twice. If I log in on the browser, then the web interface should be active, and vice versa.

1 Like

Welcome R.LeBlanc. I think you are looking for this where you can add a vote. It has mine.

Bitwarden, which is a beautiful application open to development, has not taken into account this simple feature that many of its users have requested with high demand for 6 years?
Either they really have a serious excuse for not doing it, or user requests are not taken into account.
Browser integration with the app is the main feature of many password managers. When logged in in the app, you are logged in in all browsers and vice versa.

I also have a request regarding the application’s lockup time, I would like to have an option like this: “only lock the application when the computer is locked/sleeping”.

Finally, it is inconvenient to enter our secure and long password over and over again, it would be very nice to be able to open the safe with a pin code until a time set by the user, as long as it is not entered incorrectly.

1 Like

@ShadowTR , welcome to the community.

When asking unrelated questions, please create a new topic. It makes it easier to follow conversations, mark solutions and it keeps the voting on feature requests clear.

You can. Settings >> Security >> Vault timeout does have an “On system lock” option. You need to individually set it in each extension

One can unlock the vault with Biometrics or Pin codes.

Thanks for the answer. It’s kind of funny for me that I’m just now learning that these things exist. Thank you very much.

1 Like

Just signed up to upvote. We definitely NEED that feature!!

1 Like

We definitely need this feature to be attractive against 1Password.

+1, would be very convenient.

This was requested 6 years ago and still nothing. It’s a shame that it takes forever for BW to act on these feature requests.

Good thing we have that voting system to help move things along.

Could this be a security hole? Yes.
Do I care about that? No.
Just make this feature optional et voila, everyone does what they want with their PC, especially those who know what they are doing and have other security methods this would be a convenience not at all unnecessary