LastPass free version changes

Now may be a good time for a Bitwarden marketing drive…

5 Likes

:smiley: This has definitely been top of mind today!

2 Likes

@danmullen Thanks for sharing this! This is definitely a great opportunity for Bitwarden!

We’re making changes to how Free users access LastPass across device types. LastPass offers access across two device types – computers (including all browsers running on desktops and laptops) or mobile devices (including mobile phones, smart watches, and tablets). Starting March 16th, 2021, LastPass Free will only include access on unlimited devices of one type.

This was LastPass’ approach to Free accounts back when I first started using them, and at the time why I upgraded to LastPass Premium. I cancelled Premium after they moved away from this. Looks like they’re re-adopting it.

I’m glad I migrated away from LastPass when I did. Their desktop browser extension was really annoying about constantly bugging me to upgrade to Premium. The primary reason I didn’t migrate to Bitwarden long ago was because LastPass Free had access to the Security Challenge—but it doesn’t anymore (at least not the Web Vault).

…Granted, I did sign up for Bitwarden Premium. But Bitwarden Premium is cheaper and stores 2FA secrets (including Steam Guard). That means Bitwarden can outright tell me what accounts I have that haven’t enabled 2FA yet, and I love that.

2 Likes

Let me rephrase: What I recall about their policy for free accounts, back in the day, was that you could use LastPass on both desktop and mobile, but passwords created on one would not sync with the other. That was inconvenient enough for me even at the time that I the signed up for Premium. It’s different if they now don’t allow you to access your account at all on the alternative platform.