Laptop/ultrabooks with built in fingerprint scanners

ASUS, Lenovo and other laptops have finger print scanners people can use to log onto desktop. On bitwardens browser extension or desktop for linux, can you make the sign in not only being able to sign in as password typed, but also like your mobile app finger print reader?

Makes for quick access to log in when using a browser instead of leaving the extension or desktop app staying logged in. Main password might be 20 characters long and hard to type or remember sometimes. Brings quicker access and more security as some might be making their main password easy to type like a word rather than random characters and lengthy (I thought anyway).

More security and more ease of access for us users.

Yes, you can certainly do this for browser extensions and desktop apps for Windows or MacOS, but I think Linux support is still in development.

Once you have logged in to your vault for the first time with your master password, you can elect to have your computer retain your encrypted data and unlock it when needed. You can unlock with a password, PIN, or biometrics like a fingerprint reader.

More details appear on this help page:
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/biometrics/

1 Like

BTW, if you want to see Linux included in this list, you might want to support this feature request with your vote:

1 Like

done. and xoxo…

1 Like

One of the big problems I have with biometrics is that you can literally be forced to provide them. At least knowledge can’t be extracted from your brain–you have to make the choice to reveal it, even if you are under the influence of so-called “truth serums.” While convenient, I generally don’t trust biometrics as a secure form of authentication.

Besides, as far fetched as it might seem, you might be the one that loses your finger to a band saw or your hand/arm in a terrorist bombing. :fearful:

More realistically, I wouldn’t want law enforcement to man-handle me into swiping my finger to unlock a device or an app.

To be fair, NO security method is perfect, so it is always a personal decision to balance risk exposure with convenience, in my opinion.

I am perfectly comfortable using biometrics during normal day-to-day activities.

But if I ever become a well-known billionaire or an international spy, I might disable biometrics while travelling. :wink:

1 Like

Closing so folks can vote on the Linux thread above :slight_smile: