Is it possible to reset a family member's master password as an administrator?

I’m thinking about switching to Bitwarden Families and creating a Bitwarden account for everyone at home.But I was wondering if it is possible to reset a family member’s master password when they have forgotten it.
Does anyone know the answer to this?

Note: Your question may already be answered in the Bitwarden Help Center.

Just a reminder - All Enterprise, Teams, Families, and Premium subscribers receive priority support at Get in Touch | Bitwarden :partying_face:

Hey @Martijnn, great question! Only Enterprise plans include the option to have users opt in or auto enroll into a password reset program.

There are a lot of great posts on the forums and on Reddit on how to ensure you always have access to your master password and vault data, here is one such post: How To: A User's Guide to Backing Up Your Bitwarden Vault

Something else to consider, @Martijnn, is that if you are helping the family member to setup their account, you can set yourself up as their trusted emergency contact with account takeover privileges. That way if the family member ever locks themselves out of their vault, they can ask you to “takeover” their account and reset the password for them. It is not as convenient as direct management like @bw-admin suggests above for Enterprise Teams, but it may still suit your needs.

More info is available here:

2 Likes

@dh024 I’ve thought of that too, but I wonder how long it will take to get access.
With LastPass, for example, this takes 48 hours.

Hey @Martijnn, you can configure the delay:

Set a Wait Time for vault access. Wait time dictates how long your trusted emergency contact must wait to access your vault after initiating an emergency access request.

Another solution would be to store the other family members’ master passwords in your own vault.

I don’t think that’s such a good idea. If someone uses a weak master password or also uses the master password on another website, this also has consequences.
My dad especially doesn’t want to learn how to use a password manager because it’s all “complicated” and “too much hassle” for him.
My dad also always uses the same short password everywhere that contains names and dates of birth.

Valid points, but I was assuming that the person in charge of safekeeping copies of the other family members’ master passwords would themselves be sufficiently security-conscious to create a strong, randomly generated master passphrase that they would not use elsewhere. If that person’s own vault is secure, then the secrets within it (such as stored master passwords for other users) should be safe.

Oh that way. No, I am then the administrator myself, since I know much more about this.
The only problem at home is that people will complain because others can’t open this item.

So I think the emergency contact feature is the best solution in this case.

2 Likes