Install bitwarden via Plesk

Hello there - I am very interested in running a bitwarden instance on our own server and just wanted to run by some questions. Since our server is managed via Plesk, I used Plesk’s own Docker management to run the bitwarden instance.

I did this by creating an instance of mprasil/bitwarden from the Docker Hub. I have also mapped the /data folder of the container to a path on the server:

I then set up a new domain in the plesk interface, enabled a Let’s Encrypt certificate for it and set up nginx proxy rules as described in this tutorial.

So far, everything works fine. I was able to register in the bitwarden instance, there were no problems with SSL and everything is still there after restarting the docker instance.

Now I have the following questions:

Was my process of running the bitwarden instance correct?
Since I am not using bitwarden’s own setup script and instead the Docker management of Plesk, I am simply wondering if I am missing something, when doing it this way.

There is no config.yml - is that of any concern?
Bitwarden’s own instructions say, that there should be a config.yml in the mapped data folder. However, there is none in my case. Currently I have the following files in my mapped data folder:

• db.sqlite3
  • rsa_key.der
  • rsa_key.pem
  • rsa_key.pub.der

Where to put SMTP settings?
Is it correct, to put the SMTP settings in the mapped data folder under env/global.override.env?

I just noticed that mprasil/bitwarden is not an official bitwarden Docker container, sorry for the confusion. I’ll try the official way via bitwarden’s install script instead :slight_smile:

Did you manage to run it inside plesk in the end? How much space, does it ocupy?

Hello

I like to install Bitwarden on a system running Plesk18 / Ubuntu 18.04.

Could someone give me advice on howto get the installation running?

Thanks,
Dev

@fritzmg I am also interested how things worked out. Did you use the installer script and did you run into any problems, does it somehow interfere with plesk?