Import error from lastpass

I am new to Bitwarden and I am trying to import my data from LastPass. I have followed the instruction and after I clicked on import data, I got this error
“Data is not formatted correctly. Please check your import file and try again.”

It did not say anything about which line and what kind of format is that? Please help. Thanks

Did any of the data import into Bitwarden?

None of them are imported

Did you select Lastpass csv format in the importer?

I ran LP side by side with BW for a week and have done the export import about 10 times OK so it should work.

HTH :+1:

If you followed these instructions and it is not working, you should probably contact support.

Yes I did follow the instruction. When I exported from lastpass, I notice that there is a download.csv and also the text in the browser. If I import the download.csv which only contains 4 entries, it works. But the rest shown on the browser did not work. I followed the instruction to copy and paste the text from the browser to a file called export.csv. I imported this export.csv which has most of my credentials, then it failed with the error.

Try deleting all the entries in your Bitwarden vault, empty the trash, and then import export.csv. The Bitwarden import function assumes your vault is empty.

Copy and pasting the text displayed in the browser will not work properly if you have any secure note items with note text that contains linebreaks. You need to figure out how to get a working CSV export from LastPass. In LastPass I think it makes a difference if you export from the browser extension or from the web vault, etc. — I recall reading that one of these methods works better, but I don’t remember which one. Perhaps one of the countless other LastPass refugees can give you a tip.

I exported from the LastPass web vault and I had secure notes that I successfully imported into Bitwarden.

Thanks RogerDodger! It works perfectly with the Chrome extension. Thanks again

It is definitely right to use the Lastpass extension export tool (I’m in Chrome) because the Lastpass vault export just really stumbles with data errors.

When using Lastpass’s Chrome extension and exporting it produces a file called “lastpass_export.csv” that is readily readable by Bitwarden’s Import and choosing Lastpass (csv). Just browse to find the file produced by Lastpass Export – I found mine in \downloads (But I believe this is user selectable within Chrome configuration).

So no need to fiddle with screen capture or copy/paste into a csv file from the Lastpass vault export.

Worked like a charm and imported my Logins, Cards, Indentities & Secure Notes.

Only thing I didn’t see was how to easily delete Bitwardens already created folders (from the first time I did this), so I know how doubles of the folder names, one is empty (since I had deleted all the logins (some 800-ish) before repeating the procedure) and the 2nd occurence of each folder has the actual folderized content properly placed. I’ll probably bring this issue up as a product suggestion separate from this thread.

Did you “Purge Vault” from the web vault before the import? That will clear out your vault.

Ahh… now I found the “purge” feature… it’s under the vault.bitwarden.com profile pull down (top right), account settings, then at the bottom in the “danger” area.

I had just done a “select all” (the top check mark) to nuke all the logins, which then left me with empty folders from the original import (from Lastpass).

Is the vault.bitwarden.com considered the “desktop” application?

And, is the pulldown of the extension badge (in chrome) that gets the little badge number on it when saying “Bitwarden has access to this site” considered to be the “browser extension” of the vault?

I’m just trying to get the terminology down that everyone on this community uses…

Thanks!

Whoops… I think I’m starting to answer some of my own questions… yes I found the windows .exe download, did so and installed it and then that must be the “desktop app”.

Curious why I see no similar “purge vault” feature when looking around the desktop app… is it only on the browser extension profile pull-down that I mentioned above?

Yes “Purge Vault” is only in the Web Vault (vault.bitwarden.com). It’s not a common operation, I don’t think you will use it after you finish importing.
It takes a couple of weeks to pick everything up. I’m on my 6th week and I discovered sub folders today :+1: