I cannot login to my Bitwarden account

Let me remind you again to write down your recovery code and put it somewhere safe. That code is the universal “key” to YOUR vault. Not a bad idea to export your vault data to cover your bases as well.

3 Likes

Glad to hear this is resolved.

As others have said, backups of your Bitwarden password are a very good idea. You need to decide what balance you want between security (the fewest copies of it) and reliability (several copies of it).

1 Like

Actually I’m a little bit confused. I’m looking for my recovery code but I can’t find it… The only thing I have is a recovery code for my 2FA. Where can I find the recovery code for my Bitwarden account? Trying to find it in my Bitwarden vault but I seem to be blind… :confused:

Any help?

I think you are referring to the fingerprint phrase which is NOT a recovery code.

https://bitwarden.com/help/article/fingerprint-phrase/

That’s the one I could find. But what’s with the recovery code @OpSec is talking about? :confused:

2 Likes

Just for the sake of it I registered a test account at bw.com. I only received a welcome email. I also verified my email but I received no special code by email or in the UI. I really wonder is @OpSec isn’t mistaken.

2 Likes

I didn’t receive any code from BW. The only code I currently know is my 2FA recovery code and fingerprint phase.

1 Like

That is the one.

If you go to vault.bitwarden.com, then the Settings menu, then Two-step login and you will see a button marked View recovery code.

Click that button and put in your Master password. A box marked TWO-STEP LOGIN Recovery code will now appear. You will then see the code. Copy it, print it, do whatever you want to keep it safe and secure.

People are strongly recommended to copy this when setting up 2FA. I don’t think Bitwarden could do more to emphasise keeping a copy of it.

There is no recovery code for the vault. You need to have a copy of your password to open it. This is best treated like the 2FA code. Keep it how you want, in as many places as you want, but have copies of it.

1 Like

That’s that 2FA recovery code I already have. So there is no other recovery code to recover my vault when I’m not remembering my master password. I thought that I missed something. Thanks! :slight_smile: