The current CLI outputs information in JSON, optionally formatted with
This is convenient for scripting but isn’t as convenient or aesthetically pleasing for human interaction.
While I can hack something together using
jq on top of the bitwarden cli, I think a native
--human option would be great — and beneficial to other users.
Some conceptual examples:
$ bw --human list items  folder/path/reddit.com: /u/JohnDoe — hunter2  gmail: [email protected] — Don'tBeEvil $ bw --human get item <whatever> Folder: folder/path Name: gmail Username: [email protected] Password: Don'tBeEvil URLs: accounts.google.com; youtube.com
Essentially, what I am suggesting is:
- Trim characters unnecessary for human comprehension (
" [ ]etc);
- Condense boolean data — instead of
"favorite": false,just print
★or something like
Status: Favourite; no reprompt;
- Drop redundant information — if you are doing
bw list itemsyou probably don’t need to see the
- Toggle outputting dates — someone who just wants to log into one of his reddit alts probably doesn’t care about
- human-friendly ID aliases — the
in my suggested output in place of the full GUID.
While most of my suggestions would require very little effort, I am afraid that my last suggestion, while great for QOL, might be too inconvenient to implement.