How to install safari extension

hi I no longer have the bw extension in safari. how can I reinstall it?
help page says it comes automatically with the desktop app, but I cant see where it is. it does nor appear in safari-preferences-extensions list
any help appreciated!
kindly
mark

Note: Your question may already be answered in the Bitwarden Help Center.

Just a reminder - All Enterprise, Teams, Families, and Premium subscribers receive priority support at Get in Touch | Bitwarden :partying_face:

This is probably caused by a bug in Safari. I had the same issue a few times on macOS Monterey, but recent Safari versions seem to be less prone to it.

A possible fix is described here:

Make sure to restart Safari after running the command.

Hi, thanks. sounds a bit beyond my tech abilities! I can probably find the file in system library, but what do I do with it then?
cheers

Sorry, I could have been a bit clearer. It’s a command you have to run in macOS Terminal. It looks a bit intimidating, but actually it’s quite easy to do:

1. Press Cmd+Space to open Spotlight.
  2. Type “Terminal” without quotes and press enter.
  3. You should see a command prompt waiting for input in the Terminal app.
  4. Copy the following command (the complete line) with Cmd+C and paste it into the Terminal window with Cmd+V:
/System/Library/Frameworks/CoreServices.framework/Frameworks/LaunchServices.framework/Support/lsregister -kill -r -domain local -domain system -domain user
  1. Press Enter and wait a few seconds until it is finished.
  2. Restart Safari and check the Extensions page in Preferences, the Bitwarden extension should be back.

The command simply resets a list of so-called Launch Services that macOS retains and registers these services again. Why this is necessary is beyond my abilities, but it helps and causes no other problems.

5 Likes

brilliant, many thanks!
all working now, very very much appreciated
cheers
mark