How To Disable Auto Fill On Android

Hi,
I can’t seem to figure out how to turn off the auto fill function on my android phone that’s running android version 9.0 . If I can just figure out how to turn off part of this function I’ll be happy.
David

If you go into the Bitwarden settings, there are two autofill services at the top of the screen that can be enabled or disabled.

Hi Dan,
I do in fact see the two autofill options at the top of the page in the settings area, they both are showing ‘enabled’ in green. But unless I missed it, I don’t see anyway to disable them.
Thanks,
David

Hi David,

Go to the main Android settings, System,
Languages and Input, Advanced, Auto-fill Service, then click on the Bitwarden entry. You should be able to choose a different autofill provider (or set it to none at all).

Cheers,
Dan

1 Like

Hi Dan,
Thanks so much for all of your help with this matter, I really think that you went above and beyond the normal realm of helping a fellow user. Now I just have to decide if I want to disable both entries or just one. By chance do you use either one of the autofill functions ?
David

1 Like

You’re very welcome David. I use the Auto-fill Service (rather than the Auto-fill Accessibility Service). I believe it’s better for battery life.

Hi Dan,
Did I ask you what version of android you are currently using, my phone is a LG V30. I’m currently running android version 9.0, I don’t think that my phone will get anymore version updates due to it’s age.The only bad thing about that is that also probably means no more security updates either. I’ve often thought about rooting my phone, but never have rooted any phone so I didn’t want to take any chances doing so. Using android version 9.0 for the autofill function to function properly, I have to use the accessibility autofill, if I try to use the autofill function located in the keyboard settings area autofill doesn’t function properly. Stay Safe
David

1 Like

I’m running Android 11 on a Google Pixel 3XL. The Auto-fill Service should work on all versions of Android from 8 upwards.

Hi Dan,
Now I’m kind of envious of you, for two reason’s…newer phone & newer android o.s. . Have you ever tried rooting anything that’s running android…phone, tablet, etc. ? I’ve always wanted to try that but up until this point in time I’ve been to hesitant to do so for fear of messing something up. Thanks again for your help, Stay Safe !!
David

I used to root any new phone I bought. Nowadays I don’t bother. There are some benefits to rooting but, as you say, there is always the chance that something could break.

Dan,
I can’t begin to tell you just how grateful I am that our paths crossed at this point in time, also I’m so thankful that you are so knowledgeable about thing’s. I’m also a ‘techy’ type of guy myself, that’s one reason I signed up for the windows 10 technical insider program, as I have always loved testing new technology I thought this would be a great opportunity for me to actually test a product that would at least be beneficial to some people. Please don’t ever change, stay safe !!
David

Thank you so so much for this information!
I have been looking for a solution since months and like TS Davy I had no clue where to look to disable the autofill function.
Now I have disabled both autofill functions, so again…thank you!!

1 Like

You’re very welcome :slight_smile: