How long does it take to release the new self-hosted version compared to the cloud version?

I have bitwarden on a server of my own. But despite the fact that I launch the updateself and update, I still see the previous version, while in the cloud version it has already been updated for several days.

How long does it take until the self hosted version is updated?

1 Like

Welcome, @guindous!

Self-hosted updates are made available a few days after cloud-hosted services are updated/patched, so we can monitor performance, etc. Also note, cloud services may get specific updates.

Will the current version available for self-hosting receive the recent updates published to the hosted version? If so, is there an ETA?

I believe the last patch was cloud-only. Full releases and their information will be posted here: Release Notes | Bitwarden Help & Support :+1:

Thanks @tgreer.

New(ish) to the self-hosted version and perhaps it should not include release info for the hosted version, otherwise I am being told directly by the app that I am out of date and should update.

Github is showing 1.45.3 as the latest server version, and there is even a self-hosted download for the 2.25.1 web service.

Docker hub is also showing those versions available as well as the “latest” tag being mapped to 1.45.3 and 2.25.1

Putting those versions into the compose file directly seems all shades of wrong, and for some reason only gets me 1.45.3 as the server, but the web is stuck on 2.25.0.

I’m not a great scripter, but put one together to check if there is any new version to install (instead of just running “bitwarden.sh updateself; bitwarden.sh update” to see if there is something (I’m hosting for a few friends and do not want to restart bitwarden unexpectedly).

I’m running this from my PRTG instance, which needs a specific output in order to be able to interpret the result, but I guess the checks are clear enough.

#!/bin/bash

sudo /root/bitwarden.sh updateself > /dev/null

VAR1=`sudo grep "bitwarden/admin" /root/bwdata/docker/docker-compose.yml | cut -c 28-33`
VAR2=`sudo grep "COREVERSION=" /root/bitwarden.sh | cut -c 14-19`

if [ "$VAR1" = "$VAR2" ]; then
    UPGRADE_AVAILABLE=0
else
    UPGRADE_AVAILABLE=1
fi

echo "0:`expr $UPGRADE_AVAILABLE`:Latest Version"

It’s less the bitwarden.sh values I am querying as that contains what has been provided via github. The application is stating an update is available and the published docker instances also show that 1.45.3 and 2.25.1 are the latest tagged version.

I am not overly worried about not being on the latest version but am trying to understand the process here. E.g. if those versions are not meant for self-hosted instances then it would be less confusing that self-hosted versions don’t show an update is available.

Reading your comments, then what I see is that the cloud versions differ in the self hosted ones.

If the new versions are only for cloud versions, It would be more correct to detail it in the script.