Global config for desktop app

Is there a way for a global config for the desktop app on Linux?

On the following help page it’s only explained how to do per user: Configure Clients Centrally | Bitwarden Help Center

But I want to set the base url system wide.

PS: Why was this post flagged as spam? It’s a real unsolved question!

1 Like

Hi @localhost and welcome to the community forums :tada:

The forum system automatically flagged your posts as spam:

This new user tried to create multiple posts with links to the same domain. All posts from this user that include links should be reviewed.

You only signed up a couple of hours ago and have posted and created multiple topics including links. I have restored your posts.

Regarding your original question:
As explained in the help article, you posted, the client-specific data.json is edited and then used as a template to get re-distributed via other software deployment solutions. For example, jamf or other MDM solutions that work on Linux.

If this is meant to be done once, on one machine, then you can enter the environment URL(s) in the desktop client and these will be persisted for future use. More info on that can be found here: https://bitwarden.com/help/change-client-environment/

Kind regards,
Daniel

That’s not the way global config works. Usually you have a config file in /etc/ (for example /etc/bitwarden/data.json). Then the application will take that config first and if the user have a userspecific config file, overwrite the changed config to the user specific value. Some application additionally allows to lock options that can not be overwritten from the user.

That’s the right way a business application works.

Is there support for that?

Hi @djsmith85
Even though this thread is almost a year old, there are companies out there who rely on a global config like @localhost requested.

It’s a pain for our config-management system, to deploy user-based configs in /home/user/.config/Bitwarden each time a new users logs onto this PC.

A global config like in /etc/Bitwarden/data.json to just configure the Self-hosted instance’s url would already help us a ton.

Please have a look into this.
If you need more information, I’m happy to help.

Another article about self-hosted URL information not being entered automatically for the user’s deployment. I’m beginning to think this isn’t possible.