Failed to fetch (MacOS desktop app)

I get the “Failed to Fetch” error when I try to login in the Bitwarden Desktop App. My environment is:
Mac OS Big Sur 11.2.3 (M1)
BitWarden App 1.23.1 (installed from App Store)
2-step verification TOTP activated.
Web page web vault login is OK. Safari extension works fine.
I used to install Bitwarden by directly download from BW site and install but the Safari extension no longer worked in this way. So I install from App Store. Everything is OK except the desktop app. In the BitWarden Desktop development view, it says “net::ERR_CERT_INVALID”

Any clue to fix it? Still like to use desktop app to organise folders.

2 Likes

Interesting as i have the same situation after upgrading to BigSur on just one of my MACs, 2-step is not in use.
I have 3 Intel MACs in total - all running BigSur, all the same Bitwarden Desktop App build all the same trusted Certificates installed and in all 3 the Web Extension and Browser Vault Access works fine. Just one MAC failes to fetch only (!) in the Desktop App shows “net::ERR_CERT_INVALID” - same as cybermirror. What can i do to troubleshoot or fix the issue?

I finally fixed my issue after removing the App, removing all related certificates and removing everything from ~/Library/Containers/com.bitwarden.desktop/Data/Library/Application Support/Bitwarden.
Then i reinstalled the certificates, trusted them, installed the App from the Appstore and it worked like a charme. I assume removing the App only doesn´t clean up the path mentioned above completly…

Can you tell me how to “removing all related certiifcates”, and how to “reinstall the certificates, trusted them” ? Please help as I don’t know how to deal with cetificates stuff.

3 Likes

+1, @dieoma, I would love some guidance on how to remove the certificates as well. I looked in the Keychain app but did not see any certificates under the search query “Bitwarden” anywhere.

I have tried without removing certificates and just removing the (1) app and (2) “~/Library/Containers/com.bitwarden.desktop/Data/Library/Application Support/Bitwarden” but have not removed the “certificates” because I do not know how to and it still does not work.

The certificates are not necessarily behind the name Bitwarden unless your Server hosting the Container it is call Bitwarden. Check a sample screenshot here how they might look like

How the certificates get created and used depends on your setup. With nginx or without, with docker or wirhout,… I pretty much followed the instructions found here. Even if you have a different NAS than synology you should be able to follow as the docket runtime works the same was finally…

Hi there,

i have the same problem for one of our team mates:

• self hosting
  • access via browser is working
  • access via browser extension is working as well
  • when he tries to connect with the app, it says “failed to fetch”

I tried your solution, but the first problem appears after removing the app:
I neither find the path: ~/Library/Containers/com.bitwarden.desktop/Data/Library/Application Support/Bitwarden nor any other folders or files named Bitwarden on his device (after removing the app).
After reinstalling the App the error message (“failed to fetch”) appears again.

I feel kind of helpless because I installed Bitwarden for 9 people on 2 devices. At 8 of 9 team members it is working. I implemented it on every device the same way. Is there something I don’t see / which I can try?

Best Regards
Hauke

1 Like

Old post, I know, but, thanks for the instructions. Worked perfectly. Instead of just “deleting” the certificates, I exported them. Then deleted and reimported the recently exported/deleted certs. The certs were renewed 2 days prior, so seemed ridiculous to pull them back down from the server. For anyone still struggling to find the Library files, go to ~/Library/Containers, then perform a search for “bitwarden” and make sure you select to only search the Containers folder. That made finding them very easy. Delete the files and empty your trash. Then you can reinstall. Didn’t even have to restart my machine. Cheers!