Export and import, how should I count items?

When importing my vault from Lastpass to Bitwarden (or vice-versa). How should I count items to make sure all has been imported?
I guess using excel on the json or csv file isn’t a good idea as you can never know if anything was missed on the import or export.

Any help much appreciated

Count the items in the file that was exported from Lastpass, import it into Bitwarden, export from Bitwarden, count the items in the file that was exported from Bitwarden.

What I also would do is keep the exported file from Lastpass. I do love and fully trust Bitwarden, but I do not know if actually every little piece of information is imported.

3 Likes

Were you on Lastpass free account? If yes, there might be a chance the export file from Lastpass isn’t complete.

I was on Lastpass free account, accessible via android app only. Exported my entries thru their website. Import it to Bitwarden. “Yeah, easy enough.”

Good thing few days later, I noticed that a login credentials couldn’t be found on Bitwarden. Looked through Lastpass CSV. Dang!

And now every night I am doing data entry from my Lastpass app into the Bitwarden CSV. Purge vault and import the edited CSV. Doing some house cleaning.

Here’s how I did it. It worked to a tee!. I did it on Windows 10.

SUMMARY:

Export and Import as CSV.

To count items:

Lastpass: Click List view on the top left and sort items by Name.
Click “All Items” on the top left > click to select the first item on top > Hold Ctrl key and press the End key to get to the end > Hold shift then click the last item. Now all items are selected.
Now you can see the total items as “449 items selected”.

Bitwarden: click “All Items” on the top left > click the Options cogwheel in the top centre > click “Select All” > Click “Move Selected” or “Delete Selected” (this won’t actually act the move or deletion, as that requires confirmation). > Now you will see the total count as “Choose a folder that you would like to move the 449 selected item(s) to”.

DETAILS:

Here’s how I exported from lastpass and imported to Bitwarden. I was pleasantly surprised, It worked like a charm, an exact count resulted on both side (450 items including passwords, driver licenses, notes, etc).

Here’s how I did it and how I counted the items on both passwords managers:

Export from lastpass: I did it from Click the lastpass extension > account options > advanced > export > CSV file.

Import the CSV file into Bitwarden: Tools > Import.

Here’s how I verified the count on both:

Lastpass: it works equally well on the web vault (lastpass.com) or in the Chrome browser extension (this was Windows 10):

Click List view on the top left and sort items by Name.

Click “All Items” on the top left > click to select the first item on top > Hold Ctrl key and press the End key to get to the end > Hold shift then click the last item. Now all items are selected.
Now you can see the total items as “449 items selected”.

Bitwarden:
to count items: click “All Items” on the top left > click the Options cogwheel in the top centre > click “Select All” > Click “Move Selected” or “Delete Selected” (this won’t actually act the move or deletion, as that requires confirmation). > Now you will see the total count as “Choose a folder that you would like to move the 449 selected item(s) to”.

That’s it!

I tried that and I got a different count (around 11 items difference), not sure why.

@Frank15 - check your Lastpass backup for very long note fields (more than ~7500 characters). Bitwarden can’t import those because of a limitation on how many characters it can store, and sometimes it just silently rejects them.

There is an open feature request to improve this, if you want to vote for it, and I posted a workaround that you can use if you are comfortable modifying your CSV file manually: