Excluded domains: Bitwarden shouldn't do ANYTHING, at all, ever

Version 2024.2.0

I have a form on a domain in the Excluded Domains list. When I go to fill out the form, the username field has the Bitwarden icon and the popup menu is still available. There is functionality on the form - and that field in particular - where Bitwarden is in the way, and prevents use of the form.

It’s not just a matter of not saving, that’s great as far as it goes, but the domain is excluded. Bitwarden shouldn’t even exist on the page.

p.s. +1 for wildcards or regex in excluded domains.

The Excluded Domains list only does two things:

• Prevents Bitwarden from prompting you to save passwords (if you have enabled the option “Ask to add/update existing login”).

• Prevents Bitwarden from prompting you to save or use passkeys (if you have enabled the option “Ask to save and use passkeys”).

If you want to prevent Bitwarden’s inline auto-fill icon from appearing, you go to Settings > Auto-fill and set the value of the option “Show auto-fill menu on form fields” to “Off”.

If you want auto-filling to work on some login pages and not on other pages, then you should go to the login page, use the Auto-fill and Save button to capture the login page URI, and then edit the vault item to remove other URIs, and to customize the URI match detection method to suit your purpose (by clicking the :gear: icon to the right of the stored login page URI).

1 Like

I’m not sure that captures the requirement. I also have a page which is actually a local webserver I’m using for development. I don’t want BitWarden to do anything on that page—save data, add icons to input fields, offer to fill in fields, etc.

I’m not sure how to follow your “auto-filling to work on some login pages and not on other pages” instructions. This isn’t a login page, it’s just a regular web page on a domain I’ve excluded. I don’t have an ‘auto-fill and save’ button, and I don’t have / want a vault item for this domain.

@dsl101 Welcome to the forum!

Start by making the following changes:

• In Settings > Auto-fill, change “Show auto-fill menu on form fields” to “Off”.

• In Settings > Auto-fill, disable (uncheck) “Auto-fill on Page Load”.

• In Settings > Options, disable (uncheck) “Ask to add login”.

• In Settings > Options, disable (uncheck) “Ask to update existing login”.

• In Settings > Options, disable (uncheck) “Ask to save and use passkeys”.

Does this prevent Bitwarden from interfering with your webserver?

Yes, but also disables it for every other site where I do want it to offer to fill logins, etc.

Most settings are per-browser. If you need different settings in different scenarios and can not find a happy compromise, you could use two different browsers.

OK, if it is confirmed that Bitwarden no longer interferes with your site after making the modifications suggested above, then we can now try to get back some of the functionality that you could like to use (hopefully without messing up your web server).

Which of the following features do you consider essential?

• Do you absolutely need to use “Auto-Fill on Page Load”? It is more secure to only trigger auto-filling on demand.

• Do you absolutely need inline auto-fill menu (inside input fields)? This is a brand new feature. The original auto-fill methods can still be used (e.g., the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+Shift+L is very convenient, and does not interfere with the webpage HTML).

• Do you absolutely need Bitwarden to prompt you to save passwords? It is actually more efficient to set up new account in the Bitwarden browser extension first, and subsequently transfer the information to the web form.

• Do you absolutely need to store passkeys in Bitwarden?

Depending on your answers to the above, I’ll try to come up with a configuration that may work for you.

I don’t have auto-fill on page load set, but I do find the inline auto-fill very time-saving on most sites. The original request (extending Exclusions to exclude everything Bitwarden does) would really solve the problem, as it’s a single unique localhost-type scenario. Then the main settings could just stay as they are.

I don’t get why that isn’t a valid feature request—even off by default, but extending the Exclusion functionality with a ‘disable Bitwarden completely on this domain’ checkbox.

This is not a feature request thread, it is a request for assistance in the Ask the Community section of the forum. If you wish to post a feature request, you may do so in the designated section of the forum.

However, if you did want some assistance with your use-case, please let us know (and if so, please also clarify whether you consider it essential for Bitwarden to prompt you about saving credentials, or for passkeys to be stored in Bitwarden).

Ah, fair enough. I searched staring in feature requests before starting a new post there, and didn’t realise the search wasn’t just FRs before replying here—apologies.

I’m pretty sure this can’t be solved atm. I don’t want to say I definitely won’t want those features of Bitwarden at some point in the future but I do want it to not interfere with this domain (in fact I have several domains used for dev that I’d like to exclude). And re the other response, I already use 3 browsers for testing and so it l’s not quite as simple as this browser for that, etc.—I need them to all behave roughly the same.

But for now, let’s say I only need auto-fill and can live without passkeys and prompt for saving, can that be done? If you think I can set up Bw as is in the way I want, that’d be great. If not, I’ll post a feature request.

If by “auto-fill”, you mean the inline auto-fill menu that is inserted into form fields, then try the following:

• Disable everything as instructed in my previous comment (just to have a baseline for the changes below).

• In Settings > Auto-fill, change “Show auto-fill menu on form fields” to something other than “Off” (“when field is selected” or “when auto-fill icon is selected”, depending on your preference).

• Navigate one of your browsers to open a page on your web server (or other dev domain). Check if Bitwarden has any matching entries (e.g., if there is a “badge counter” with a number overlayed on the corner of the Bitwarden browser extension icon at the top of your browser). If so, proceed with the last step below:

• In the browser extension Tab screen, click the matching item’s “view” icon, then click “Edit” in the upper right corner. For any “URI” fields, click the :gear: icon to the right of the URL string, which toggles the appearance of a dropdown menu; change the selection in the dropdown menu from “Default match detection” to “Never”. After you have done this for every “URI” field, click “Save” in the upper right corner, then click “Close” in the upper left corner. Repeat for any other matching logins (until the “badge counter” disappears from the Bitwarden icon).

Let me know if this produces the behavior you are looking for.

If the above works, then you may also be able to re-enable passkeys and the “Ask to add/update login” prompts, if you add the FQDN for your web server domain to the exclusions list at Settings > Excluded Domains.

OK, I’ve followed that I think. I also added the dev domain into Exclusions (not sure if that was necessary). But as soon as I set the ‘Show auto-fill menu on form fields’ to anything other than Off, Bw shows the autofill menu as soon as I click on a form field, for example:

It’s that I’d like to avoid, but only on the dev domains I’m working on.

OK, I looked into this some more, and it seems you are right — when the option to display inline autofill menus inside the form fields is enabled, the URI matching is not honored — i.e., the icon/menu is displayed whether or not your vault contains a matching site.

Thus it seems that it would be reasonable to make a feature request to propose that Bitwarden should block the injection of inline autofill menus for all domains on the Excluded Domains list.

2 Likes