Email Notifications When Logging In to Bitwarden

Oh, my bad.

I easily could have taken a screenshot of that and just plain forgot. But I can tell you that it filled it with my psuedonym ‘codeschlocker’ in the dialog box for remembered password in Bitwarden. Let me take a look at it right now…

Got it!

As near as I could tell, I probably entered this into a field in Bitwarden since I’m currently filling (Almost done) my database.

I agree, it may be Chrome. It’s not like Chrome doesn’t cause me lots of headaches. I have access to three browsers down on the bottom bar of my Windows window. I have Edge, eek!, and AVG Secure browser. The AVG one, which looks like it must be based on Chrome, is my go to browser when Chrome is giving me fits.

I turn 65 next month. I just get aggravated the settings for on website that I browse with Chrome, seem not to work with other websites. It seems like I’m always chasing Settings in Chrome.

-Mike

Evidently, whatever is happening has nothing to do with Bitwarden’s “Remember email” feature, since that option is clearly disabled in your screenshot.

It is possible that Bitwarden could still be involved (at least in the instance that was captured in your screenshot). I would suggest doing the following tests:

1. In your Bitwarden browser extension, go to Settings > Autofill, and disable the Autofill on Page Load option. Go back to the web vault login page and check if the “Email address” field is still populated with codeschlocker as shown in your screenshot). If not, go back to Settings > Autofill, and re-enable the Autofill on Page Load option, then test the web vault login again. If the codeschlocker value is only autofilled when Autofill on Page Load is enabled, then we’ll know that it is Bitwarden that is providing this value.

2. In your Bitwarden browser extension, go to Settings > Autofill, and change the Default URI Match Detection setting from “Base Domain” to “Host”. Go back to the web vault login page and check if the “Email address” field is still populated with codeschlocker as shown in your screenshot). If not, go back to Settings > Autofill, and change the Default URI Match Detection setting back from “Host” to “Base Domain” again. If the codeschlocker value is only autofilled when the Default URI Match Detection option is set to “Base Domain”, then we’ll know that it is a URI match detection configuration issue that is causing the undesired autofill behavior.

If the tests above do not work (i.e., the settings changes in Bitwarden do not have any effect on the autofilling of the “Email address” field on the web vault login page), then the problem must be caused by soemthing outside of Bitwarden — e.g., Chrome itself, or some other installed browser extension.

However, if both of the above tests do work (i.e., the tests show that the problem is caused by the URI match detection settings in Bitwarden), then return the settings in Settings > Autofill to the way you had them originally, but take the following actions:

• On the browser extension search bar, enter bitwarden, and make a note of how many login items you have for Bitwarden. I suspect that you have at least one such item (for your Community Forum account).

• Open each such item for editing, and click the gear icon (:gear:) next to the stored URL, then change the value selected in the dropdown menu from “Default” to “Host” (and click the “Save” button).

After you have done this for all of your Bitwarden items, the problem shown in your screenshot should no longer occur — if Bitwarden was to blame for the behavior.

I have ticked the remember email address several times with my correct email address, the one associated with Bitwarden. That was probably my first attempt to try and clear up the problem, but since it still populated the field with other inputs, I decided to ask the community.

Later I will perform your suggestions and let you know the results.

Thank you for all of your effort.

-Mike

It really looks like something is trying to auto-fill for you, replacing the vault.bitwarden.com email address with something else. (Probably your community.bitwarden.com username if whatever is auto-filing looks at the domain.) I don’t experience this, but I’ve also disabled all auto-fill in my browser (and extensions, including Bitwarden.)

Some things to try

• Uninstall/disable any password managers (including browser built-in)
  • Change URI Matching to Host for your community.bitwarden.com credentials (if saved in Bitwarden)
  • Disable other auto-fill services in your browser (payments, addresses, remember data you’ve entered, etc.)

The second bullet above can be handy for other domains where you have different credentials for different hosts.

Again, this setting is stored in a cookie, so clearing cookies when closing the browser will prevent Bitwarden from remembering your email. In any case, the “remember email” feature on the login page is not the cause of the incorrectly filled email field — i.e., Bitwarden did not “change your saved email”.

The clearing of cookies is resulting in no email address being saved, and then you have a second issue that is causing irrelevant information to be entered into the email address field. The tests I’ve prescribed above should get to the bottom of what’s going on.

I think something has jumped the rails in this discussion, or I’m horribly obtuse. I’m not using Bitwarden as a browser extension. I’m just visiting Bitwarden’s website at https://vault.bitwarden.com. That’s what I was directed to when I joined up with Bitwarden. Am I just using this app incorrectly!?!?!?!

Also, as I wrote above:
"I unchecked the Chrome setting “Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows, when on you’ll also be signed out of Chrome.”

It seems that this either solved a lot of my problem with logging in to Bitwarden, or it has at least made me email notifications much less frequent.

I’ll take a look at it again today, but I don’t think I’ll be able to follow your suggestions.

I’m really hoping I can get Bitwarden to work for me. It has taken me about two weeks to enter 250+ records. I just wish it was a bit more flexible as far a being able to construct my own fields to populate customized sites. For example, I wish it had a site for banking that already had fields for account number, phone, etc. Same with insurance sites. I could do that easily with InfoSafe. I’ll have to look into the password manager from Bitdefender.

-Mike

If you’re not using Bitwarden’s browser extension, then you are missing out on Bitwarden’s auto-fill features. In addition, in this case, we can conclusively rule out that Bitwarden has anything at all to do with the appearance of irrelevant data (like codeschlocker) in the email field of your Bitwarden login form.

Start by disabling autofill in Chrome — navigate your browser to:

chrome://settings/autofill

Click on Password Manager, where you should toggle off both the Offer to save passwords option and the Auto Sign-in option, and delete all saved passwords (after exporting them, if necessary).

Similarly, go to the Payment Methods and Addresses and More pages, where you should toggle off all options and delete any stored data.

Next, download and install the Bitwarden browser extension from this page:

Well, this information may come too late to help you, but Bitwarden has tools that will allow you to import records that you have saved in any tabular format (e.g., exports from other password managers).

As far as custom fields, Bitwarden does have the ability to define custom fields:

Everything seems to be in order now, and I haven’t had anymore issues. Seriously, I believe it was a cookie issue, because when I toggled off "the Chrome setting “Clear cookies and site data when you close all windows, when on you’ll also be signed out of Chrome.” except for the one off false filling of my “save email address” everything has been working pretty well.

I’ve finished entering my records in.

I guess I didn’t state what I wish I could do with Bitwarden very well. I know I can build custom fields, and I’ve done that quite often. I just wish I could build up some custom record types with custom fields. It would have made data entry much more pleasant. But, the problem is moot now.

Yeah, I read that I could have created a CSV file with my old password manager and imported my passwords on over. But, to be honest, my password database needed purging. I’ve been building it since 2009. Some of the sites, I just vaguely remember, and no longer use.

Thanks for everyone’s help!

-Mike

1 Like