Elderly man (87) needs help

Elderly man struggling to keep up with the technology needs live help setting up and configuring Bitwarden, Gnucash and other software.

Paul

Hi Paul,

I would strongly recommend to look for some help around where you know the people. Gnucash (Onlinebanking) and Bitwarden (Passwordmanagers) are at the highest risk level regarding fraud.

It might be easy to trick you around with the result of loosing money and in the end the internet is bad again :wink: .

I would recommend to go either for official support or look around where you can “see” people and where you have a chance to get a glim of their personality.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Let me point you to a couple of Websites that might provide you with some help. I know they were very useful to me when I was setting up Bitwarden.

and

EDIT: You may wonder at the last link. I think it is important to realize the many older folks (I am also in my 80’s) have issues (both minor and major) with memory loss (or forgetfulness) at times. Be thinking about scenarios where you might have to have someone take charge of things for a while and setup plans to deal with them.

2 Likes

Do you happen to have a trusted family member or friend you already know who can help?

This task requires much trust of the person helping you.

1 Like

Hello sir! Good on you for reaching out for help!

I work with seniors every day of my life; I have a fiduciary duty to them, and thus understand the real risks that exist for this vulnerable population.

Here is a link for you to look at: It’s on the AARP website about getting help with tech issues. They offer online video support. AARP Joins With Nonprofit to Teach Tech to Older Adults

You must be careful and vet your sources carefully. AARP is a great place to start; if you live in a senior community/residence, you may have some people who can also help you out.

Best Wishes

Paul.

1 Like

I’d also like to make a plug for seniors who have trusted friends or loved ones who may not live closeby but could help them on their computers remotely.

Two options (there are many) are TeamViewer (which I used to use) and Splashtop (Business version). I stopped using TeamViewer (free version) due to connection issues with my relatives for whom I am their “IT guy”, and Splashtop seems to be working very well (Disclosure: I don’t work for , profit from, or have any relationship with any software company).

But you must be very careful, as allowing someone you don’t totally trust to access your computer remotely could be disasterous. Just FYI

Paul

1 Like

I’ve never tried it, but I think Zoom also has remote desktop capabilities.

Zoom had some troubles early on, but I think they’ve fixed their big issues and are now encrypting all connections by default.

2 Likes