Double entries after .JSON backup import

Hi guys,

Quick question since the help function seems to think I’m a company admin. :slight_smile:

I’ve made a backup from all my passwords into a .JSON file, and zipped it, and then stored it somewhere where it took me weeks to find. (I know, really bad OPSEC, but I have to work around my amnesia).

Anyway, for whatever reason I imported the same file twice thinking it was another backup with additional entries. And now every login is displayed double.

TLDR; Is there a way to delete double entries other than by hand?

Thanks

1 Like

Welcome to the forum!

No, Bitwarden does not have a deduplication feature, but depending on your situation, one option may be to purge the contents of your vault and then import the JSON again (once).

Another feature that might reduce the pain somewhat (in case you have to do the deletions manually), is the ability to manually select multiple items and delete them all at once.

Both of the features described above (vault purge, and multi-delete) are only available from the Web Vault interface.

Thank you!

Purging is an option I did not consider yet… I’m very careful (some call me paranoid) when it comes to my databases. :wink:

I could do that… The thing is, I am not 100% sure the JSON file has ALL the entries I want to restore… So I went through the file with an editor… But it’s just too big and not formatted for humans to read for an extended period of time. (I prefer the ‘raw’ file).

I can do some searches for the most recent logins I can remember and see if they’re present… That’s as close to a failsafe as I can get. Amnesia sucks. But bless Bitwarden for remembering it all for me.

I guess I have some reading ahead of me then.
After I finish my episode of Deadringers… It is a Sunday after all :wink:

Thanks!

@CP_Mol_Jr
You should be able to find the added items.

I would suggest the following:

1. Make a new JSON export (before purging).
  2. Also make a CSV export (which I’ll call CSV1).
  3. Purge the vault.
  4. Import the old JSON (the one that you had imported twice previously).
  5. Make a new CSV export (which I’ll call CSV2).
  6. Open both CSV files in Excel.
  7. In each CSV file, add a new column, and give it a title (e.g., Import).
  8. In CSV2, fill the Import column with an arbitrary value (e.g., X), which should be the same in each row of the CSV.
  9. In CSV1, leave the value of the Import column blank.
  10. Copy every row of CSV1, and paste below the last row in CSV2.
  11. In CSV2, use Excel’s Remove Duplicate Values tool to remove entries in which the name, login_uri, and login_username columns have identical values (or checking for duplicates in the name column may be sufficient, depending on whether you have used unique names for each entry).
  12. In CSV2, delete every row that contains an X in the Import column, and then delete the Import column.
  13. Save the revised version of CSV2.

The revised version of CSV2 should contain only entries currently present in your vault, which are not included in the old JSON. You can import these into the vault to restore them.

1 Like