Desktop client - what is it for

I can’t see the point of the Desktop client; does it just save loading the web-site in a browser and logging in there? Can it be used offline?

I assumed that if the Desktop Client was loaded and signed-in that I would not have to sign-in my browser (Firefox) via the extension too, but that appears not to be the case

1 Like

I guess it is a question of preference. Also, there is a portable client, that is for users, who want to use Bitwarden on machines without privileges.

[Edited]

You may be right, but a 40mb app as opposed to a url shortcut? Is there no more to it than that?

I have already downloaded the portable version, and that’s 70mb.

I think you mean “MB”, not “gb”.

Oops, corrected.

For one, the Mac OS X app has a few more settings including clearing clipboard, and also being able to sort into shared collections.

Coming from KeePass and KeeWeb I personally prefer dedicated desktop apps instead of browser plugins. Right now the Bitwarden dedicated desktop app is more familiar to me, but does not auto-fill credentials in either any browser or other app.

There is a feature request thread about this here.

The desktop client can be used offline in read-only mode.

2 Likes

Some people don’t trust plugins or they want the separation. Also, it’s nice if you have more than one account and need to use both at the same time.

1 Like

That hadn’t occurred to me. Food for thought.

1 Like

The desktop client is great to have in case the Bitwarden server ever goes down :wink:

I learned something here, I didn’t realize BW could run without an internet connection to the most current web vault. I’ll have to try that. If this is true then it means there’s a local / encrypted copy somewhere on the machine, and that should be back-up-able. No ?

1 Like