Desktop app creates ~/tmp on launch

I’ve been trying to track down why a folder named “tmp” keeps being created in my home directory. I finally set up a launchd process and it turns out that the Bitwarden desktop application is the culprit. The ~/tmp directory seems to be created every time the app launches. It has been happening for at least 6 months, probably closer to a year.

This is either a feature request or a bug report (but ~/tmp creation shouldn’t be the app’s intended behavior—macOS applications should not be writing to ~/tmp—it should be /tmp, /private/tmp, /var/tmp, etc.).

Bitwarden Desktop Version 2023.12.1 (16254)
macOS Ventura 13.6.3

Still happening. ~/tmp is created every time the desktop app launches. Would love to hear from a developer.

Have the same issue. Just caught BW on making directory ‘~/tmp’. It’s rather annoying to see that folder to be created every time BW starts. I don’t need such folder in my Home directory. I find it pointless, it should be created somewhere around ‘~/Library/Application Support/Bitwarden/’ I guess.

Agreed. Somehow (at least part of) the dev team has convinced themselves this is isn’t a bug. There’s an offer to make a PR to change the path, but the devs are ignoring. It might get traction if a new github issue is opened. If you want to do that, you can ref this one Desktop app creates ~/tmp on launch · Issue #7758 · bitwarden/clients · GitHub

btw what function is this a screen shot of?

It’s a simple Terminal prompt:

sudo fs_usage | grep ~/