Dashlane Import

I am attempting to export my passwords from Dashlane to start using Bitwarden.

My Dashlane setup is now all in the browser, there is no desktop app.

The exported file from Dashlane has an extension of .dash and will not allow me to export to either json or anything else for that matter.

When trying to import this file in Bitwarden, it just gives an error!

I have checked the Dashlane website and there is no desktop app that can be downloaded.

Has anybody come across this or has any advice??

2 Likes

Hi Jacja,
Can you look at these articles

Hi, I have some advice for you and you need to check two things. I need you to export your files into a .csv Dashlane file, it will give you an option. Then you need first select the type of file you are importing and set it to Dashlane .csv (if this doesn’t work then skip to the other possible solution). Then you choose the file and where you saved it. You will now need to tap the import button on Bitwarden. It’s done

If you weren’t able to follow that, reply and let me know. If it didn’t work at any step, here is another (but a bit more complex) solution.

Basically, you have to either create an account on another password manager (that is not dashlane), e.g. lastpass. Then you export the .csv file and choose the name of that password manager and import that using the last few steps in the first solution. If you have an account already on another password manager (not dashlane), then export from there and follow the last few steps of the first solution.

The last few steps of the first solution incase you didn’t follow;
Then you need first select the type of file you are importing and set it to the other password managers name and .csv file. Then you choose the file and where you saved it. You will now need to tap the import button on Bitwarden. It’s done

Hope that helped.

The only import option for Dashlane on Bitwarden is a .JSON, and the only export options on Dashlane are .DASH and .CSV.

What should I do?

=

Are you sure there is no JSON export? These are images from the Dashlane website here:

That’s so weird, this is what I have:

Perhaps Dashlane has recently changed its export options to make it harder to switch password managers or something? I suggest you contact Dashlane support to see what’s up.

Alternatively, you can always import a CSV file, but it might get messy.
https://bitwarden.com/help/article/condition-bitwarden-import/#condition-a-csv

Please have a look at How to export my data into a readable format (CSV, Excel, JSON) – Dashlane

Dashlane is currently changing some things in the web app and some options might be missing. The desktop app or the extension should still have the option to export as .json.

1 Like

To reiterate what some others said, there is not Dashlane desktop app anymore.
It’s still downloadable, but it won’t let you log into the desktop app.
The browser only has export as DASH or CSV. Is there a plan to add a new import option in the dropdown for Dashlane CSV?

Hi @Swimburger and welcome to the community.

We are aware that Dashlane has decided to discontinue their Desktop apps as of January 10th. With that, they have also dropped support for exporting their json format. We are definitely planning on adding an option to import Dashlane’s csv format. I’ve actually recently started working on it, but don’t have a timeframe for release yet.

Regards,
Daniel

1 Like

I recently made the transition from Dashlane to Bitwarden, and to simplify my life I wrote a small script in python that transcribes Dashlane csv into Bitwarden csv.

2 Likes

I really want to get rid of Dashlane. Bitwarden looks very good. But my understanding from all of the above is that current Dashlane users cannot transfer into Bitwarden. Is that correct?

Hi @PeterKendal and welcome to the community.

It is possible to export logins via .csv from Dashlane and prepare them manually for import into Bitwarden. Instructions can be found here: Import Data from Dashlane | Bitwarden Help & Support

I know this is not as convenient as selecting a dedicated importer that handles everything for you. I’ll post an update once the work on the Dashlane CSV importer progresses.

Kind regards,
Daniel

1 Like

Hi Daniel. Thank you for your welcome and very prompt response. I’ll take a look at the instructions and hope to become a fully equipped member of the community soon. So good to see an open source alternative to Dashlane - which I am completely fed up with.

1 Like

Hi Daniel. I’m working through the instructions using a spreadsheet and hope you don’t mind if I ask for a few clarifications?

1. The instructions use the credentials.csv file as an example. Am I right to assume that: a: I need to repeat exactly the same steps for each of the dashlane csv files, and
    b: I need to import each re-conditioned file separately into Bitwarden?
  2. Is the title of the 8th column in the re-conditioned file is login_uri not login_url?
  3. In the fields column where there are 3 user names I type in “username2: second_username username3: third_username” all in the same cell?

Thanks, Peter

As an alternative you can export to CSV and use Keepass as a middleware. So, you can import into Keepass, from which it is easy to migrate to Bitwarden.

Manually transforming Dashlane password CSV to Bitwarden password CSV wasn’t too hard, but I can’t find a CSV sample for the secure notes, cards, and identities. Where do we find those?

Hi @djsmith85

Hoping you might have some further advice here - otherwise it will be time for me to try an alternative to Bitwarden, which would be a shame.

By the by @GJK I tried to use Keepass as an alternative middleware but could not suss out how it worked at all! As you can tell I am not an IT fan and just looking for a simple solution to getting rid of Dashlane.

Hi @PeterKendal,

I was on vacation so didn’t check in here.

1. Yes, each file would need to be conditioned before an import. Unfortunately I can’t offer a mapping for the other files at this time. You’d have to have a look at what Dashlane provides and what the Bitwarden import requires. All fields are documented in the link I provided earlier.

2. The title of the 8th should be login_uri as stated in the docs.

3. Yes, if you have username2 and/or username3 in the original export filled, they would need to be added into a new column named fields. Add username2: second_username and on a new line in the same column username3: third_username

As stated before, I’ve started work on the actual Dashlane-CSV importer, which would import all files. I’m hoping to get it into the next release (~mid March). I can’t promise that though, as it would still need a review and pass QA.

I hope this helps.

The suggestion from @GJK would also work, but it would currently only handle logins and no other item types.

@Swimburger Please have a look at point 1

Kind Regards,
Daniel

I don’t need a mapping, just a sample CSV to see what the headings are for the Secure Notes, Cards, etc. The other things I can store in Bitwarden.