Create Collections without Owner und Administrator Rights

Hi all,

I like to have everybody in our Company with only the rights the need for there work.

The Collections are Create but in the documentation is described, all administrators and owners have the right to look into all collections.

Is there a way to share Password between users in Collections, that only this Users can read the passwords?

an example: the CEO and the CFO will share a password for the payroll files.

Kind Regards,

Bernd

Hello Bernd - welcome!

If the standard roles don’t suit your needs, you can also define custom roles on a user-by-user basis. However, Administrators and Owners will always be able to access any collection in your organization, and I don’t believe there is a way around that within an organization.

Hello David,

thank you for the warm welcome!

Is there another way to share Password without collections along three people?

Kind Regards,

Bernd

I am not aware of any way to allow three people to have shared access to the same credentials without using a collection, no. Sorry. But perhaps someone else has figured out a solution and will add their suggestion here.

Hey @bdausch, anything shared in an organization needs to be in a collection if multiple individuals need access.

Can you provide more context on who you’re trying to provide access for and who you are trying to hide the password from?

Hey @bw-admin,

one part of our company manage the Bitwarden Infrastructure.

My Collegues and I manage our Datacenter Plattform for our Customers.

The Passwords for our Datacenter Backend have a high Value. Our Risk Management Policy says only the people wo need the passwords should have access to it. This includes the Owner and Admins of our Bitwarden Deployment.

So it would be create to have a collection ore somethin else to share the high value passwords between the people wo need them.

Thanks Bernd, I’ll pass the feedback along to the team. For now, I’ve converted the community question to a feature request for voting and further discussion :+1:

I think this is related to 14480 - but this is really a problem when coming from LastPass that users needs the admin-right “Create collection”.

“Create Collection” should be at least a manager right - when activating “Create new collections” in current setup it let users see all existing collections because it is assigned to the admin rights.

In screen shot appended our current workaround - which is not nice. Is there any progress on this? The “Create new collections” should reside within “Manager permissions” and should users / managers not let see all other not assigned collections.

Thanks for the feedback @Elektritter there are upcoming changes in development that will improve the process of creating and managing collections.

1 Like

I have seen the fix, it is a step in the write direction. I would request that you might have another role (power user) or some more granularity. Currently if you give people (users) enough permission to create collections then they can create collections anywhere they have any rights even view. My proposal is that you only allow users to create collections inside of other collections they have edit access not view access. From what I can tell if they have enough rights they can create collections anywhere they can see even if only view.